Limp mode

mememe

Reaction score
Here we go then. Today I made my first longish journey since I bought the car and it didn't go well.
I was about 1.5 hours into my trip, travelling down the motorway on cruise control doing 75mph. It had been raining quite heavy for about 20 mins but was now coming down in buckets. I slowed down to about 50 ish(couldn't see the front of the bonnet!) no cruise control. The car went into limp mode and the ESP & Glow plug(EMU) lights came on. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and switched off.

I tried starting several times, it would start but in limp mode. The rain had stopped now. Then it started without limp but, as soon as the wheels moved forwards, limp again. Then after a further 30 mins or so, all was ok so I moved slowly off the motorway for about 5 mins till limp mode came back. I limped into a garage who had a look at the fault codes( for £60!!!) and found these:

17571 - fuel temperature sensor open cct.
17996 - engine mount solenoid valves open cct. (please see this thread for added info).
18047 - throttle position sensor.
18057 - data bus powertrain, missing message from ABS control.
01314 - engine control module.
65535 - no match in database.

When he reset them they all went away except 17571. He said he didn't think that 17571 would cause my problems and I would have to leave the car with them for him to narrow it down. Which I could not.

When I pulled out of the garage, it was not in limp mode. It was ok for about 5 mins then limp again. I quickly stopped and switched off. Then started again straight away and switched ESP off(I tried this earlier on the motorway but it made no difference). It was ok again and in fact it was fine for the rest of my journey and all the way home again(went home without switching ESP off).

So, I guess the question is, Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong please?

I have made an uneducated guess at, water getting in somewhere it shouldn't causing a problem. Then as the water stopped it gradually got better. But I have no clue as to where this might be.

Any help is much appreciated.

Did it look like it had been wet in there?

It's possible that it was filling up with water quicker than it was being able to drain away. It's worth checking those gromets.

Ok I will check/remove them tomorrow. It was wet in there but then, it had been raining.

I had planned on doing them after reading that thread but hadn't got around to it yet. If it is that, and it only cost me £60 plus £35 for the wifes taxi, I suppose I got off lightly!

Did it look like it had been wet in there?

It's possible that it was filling up with water quicker than it was being able to drain away. It's worth checking those gromets.

Checked them today. They were present and full of crud. There was a small amount of water still there which drained away nicely when I removed the bungs. I did not refit them. I hope you're right about it being the cause, cetainly looks like it could be.

Thanks