AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102

    Knocking under load

    When I boot it in the lower gears I can hear a knocking sound from roughly under the handbrake area. It is not very loud (but definately noticeable) and knocks about 4-5 times in a second but only when accelerating. The acceleration feels smooth. A mechanic friend of mine has had it on the ramp but cannot find anything untoward.

    Any ideas please?
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    AU01 A4's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    211
    are all your tyre the same make, model and size? as it is were your central diff is, if your tyre are not with in 4ish mm it will play up.
    Audi A4 1.8T quattro S Line Avant

  4. #3
    snowball1969's Avatar
    1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Corsham, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    112
    is this a 4 wheel drive if so the prop shaft could be the culprit

  5. #4
    Turkster's Avatar
    Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,715
    Engine mount ?

  6. #5
    Az
    Az's Avatar
    Hard slammed!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball1969 View Post
    is this a 4 wheel drive if so the prop shaft could be the culprit
    Going by his sig I'd say it's a 4 wheel drive

    I agree with AU01 A4, the quattro system can be very sensitive to tyre tread depths or non matching profiles. As little as 3mm difference between tread on any tyre can upset the 4 wheel drive system and put strain on it. If for what ever reason you have different profiles between tyres this can also cause problems to the quattro system.

    As regards to the prop shaft as snowball mentioned, I'm not 100% familiar with the prop shaft on the audi's, but of they are anything like BMW's then they have a big rubber donut mount between the gearbox and the prop shaft itself which will be literally the location of the knocking that you describe, so if it's split or perished it can cause a lot of movement when accelerating hard, and on the BMW's they are have a metal shield just over the prop shaft and under the floor of the car, so with movement of the prop with a knackered donut mount that can knock against each other.
    B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport

    Dolphin Grey I 210 BHP Remap I KW V1 Coilovers I 19"x9.5" all round BBS LM reps I RS4 Anti Roll Bar Kit I S4 Front and Rear Bumpers I Votex side skirts I S4 Aluminium Mirrors I S4 Rear Spoiler I S4 Style Tailpipes I USDM S4 licence plate blank I 6000k HID's I 18 SMD DRL's I Cupra R Splitter I Full RS4 black leather with white stitch optional bucket seat interior I RS4 black headlining I TT S Line FBMFSW I Aluminium Trim I Reverse camera I Full DIS I Cruise Control

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Thanks guys so far. The tyres are all the same and about the same tread depth.

    Update: The noise is worse when pulling away fast around a T junction. When doing this it becomes apparent that the noise is from the footwell are drivers side. Sorry for miss directing you.
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  8. #7
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,751

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Does it do it worse on left or right hand lock?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  9. #8
    Turkster's Avatar
    Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,715
    what engine size have you got?

  10. #9
    swarcup's Avatar
    5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    beverley,East yorkshire
    Posts
    1,209
    same here i also have this noise on take off, so far ive had 3 garages look to no avail and i have now started throwing parts at it which include all 4 arms, drop links and track rod ends both sides. Good luck
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

  11. #10
    Turkster's Avatar
    Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,715
    Engine mounts can cause this as the engine will lift and clunk back down under load and the mount are in the same area as the rest of the links that you are changing.

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    35
    I had a similar problem on my Quattro. Believe it or not it was a small stone lodged in the rubber gearbox mounting. I only got this hard knocking under acceleration and it took me a while to find the culprit. The mounting is cup shaped so stones and debris can get stuck there especially as the fibreglass cover on mine was broken and had been removed. Get the car on a lift and check the mounting carefully.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by abyrne153 View Post
    I had a similar problem on my Quattro. Believe it or not it was a small stone lodged in the rubber gearbox mounting. I only got this hard knocking under acceleration and it took me a while to find the culprit. The mounting is cup shaped so stones and debris can get stuck there especially as the fibreglass cover on mine was broken and had been removed. Get the car on a lift and check the mounting carefully.
    Hey I remember seeing a stone lodged somewhere in the gearbox/surround. I'll check up on it and let you know how I get on. Thanks
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    Engine mounts can cause this as the engine will lift and clunk back down under load and the mount are in the same area as the rest of the links that you are changing.
    Thanks for this. I have had some other issues today which I will make a new thread for and post a link. But basically, the car went into limp mode today and several fault codes were recorded. One of which was 17996 - 'Engine mount solenoid valves, open cct'

    This went away when reset. Limp mode then went away for about 5 mins then came back. I stopped, restarted the car ok, and it never came back. The only other thing of note was, it was absolutely bucketing down when I initially got the problem, then it dried out very quickly.

    Does any of this make you think more......or less that it could be the mounts?

    Thanks
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Does it do it worse on left or right hand lock?
    Worse on right lock
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    what engine size have you got?

    1.9 TDI SE Quattro Avant 02
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by mememe View Post
    Thanks for this. I have had some other issues today which I will make a new thread for and post a link. But basically, the car went into limp mode today and several fault codes were recorded. One of which was 17996 - 'Engine mount solenoid valves, open cct'

    This went away when reset. Limp mode then went away for about 5 mins then came back. I stopped, restarted the car ok, and it never came back. The only other thing of note was, it was absolutely bucketing down when I initially got the problem, then it dried out very quickly.

    Does any of this make you think more......or less that it could be the mounts?

    Thanks
    Link to new thread
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    102
    OK I have it. It was an engine mount that was not secured correctly See here.

    Thanks to all for your help.
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO