Vibration through gearstick

bowen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Since ive had the car (1.8t Cab) ive had a strong vibration through the gear stick. Its not specific to any gear or speed.

Any ideas?

Ive done a quick search, points towards gearbox/clutch slipping to gearbox mounts or engine mounts?

this could be a engine mount mate, what area are you from? i could plug your car in for you mate

didn't think DMF was fitted to petrol engines ??? diesels only...... engine or gearbox mounts

Hi Sam,

Im from south wales.

It vibrates so much you cant hold it. Its like holding a pneumatic drill.

bump.

You cant physically see the stick vibrating but you can certainly feel it.

Why you bumping it? What else can we offer on the information you've supplied.

Gearbox and engine mounts as you suggested are most likely. Have you changed them? And if so does the problem still remain?

Why you bumping it? What else can we offer on the information you've supplied.

Gearbox and engine mounts as you suggested are most likely. Have you changed them? And if so does the problem still remain?

adc74 suggested= DMF
Mark TDI =didn't think DMF was fitted to petrol engines ??? diesels only......

So ideally i'd like that cleared up, then i can gather what it is/isnt.

Plus after googling/youtubing vibrating gear stick it became apparent that someone's version of vibration is diffrent to others hence;
"You cant physically see the stick vibrating but you can certainly feel it."

P.S I think its a mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited your post as there is no need to be offensive towards me. Had you been less hot headed and read it as it was intended you would have seen that I was trying to get your question answered for you!

As you say, a few things have been suggested, but what you don't tell us is whether you have had any of these thing replaced. The first thing's I would do are at least get the mounts checked as they are indeed the most likely candidates. It's a bit of a red herring asking what else it could be unless you've looked into the most likely causes first.

Bumping this, checked the mounts all good. I did notice whilst driving; in gear approaching rounabout I pressed the clutch in to change gear, when I did this vibration stopped. So in short clutch pressed, vibration stop. Would this suggest DMF?

I always thought DMf's were fitted to petrol a4's?

Best place to buy one any recommendations/ reputable companies?

Nice one.

Sell it and buy a BMW...

Last edited:
Post 3 / 11 August 2011 :yes:

Finished gloating - glad to hear you got it sorted fella :thumbsup:

Yeah should have taken your advice I. The first place, if only mark hadn't stuck his nose in! Lol

It really has transformed the car!

Yeah should have taken your advice I. The first place, if only mark hadn't stuck his nose in! Lol

dickhead lmao