The worst day in my Audi life!

jammy84

Reaction score
Since I bought my audi B6 convertible 1.8T I have had nothing but problems with it.

As in my previous post, I have had the hazards flashing on/off while driving and stops me locking the doors with fob until i use the key in the lock. I was advised it was my comfort module which I didnt bother checking because it was an intermittent problem.

So today, I unlocked my car with the fob, and the glovebox started making a griding noise, like when a cog is stuck and the other is spinning round it.
It was making an absolute racket so I quickly disconnected the battery of the car.
The glovebox was stuck shut, so i used the key to unlock it and it opened. put battery back on and same noise again, so i popped off the side cover and disconnected and reconnected it etc. So I left the battery disconnected while I fitted my new rocker cover seal which is what i was going to do anyway.

The cars battery was flat too by the way, because my hazards were flashing all night.
The boot had popped open itself too a couple of times while I was diagnosing.
The windows were slightly down (2cm down)

When I reconnected my battery and jump started the car, I couldnt move my windows at all.

I decided to go and check out the comfort module, so I removed the passenger seat, lifted the carpet and woooooaaaahhh a HUGE puddle of water - how did that get there??? and it was DEEEEEP too! Of course the comfort module was submersed in the pool. No wonder I had all these problems.

I took the module out and opened it all up to the circuit board and it looks toast to me!! the circuit boards all corroded like hell, I dont even know how any of its functions were working at all before!!
I also pierced some holes in the plastic drain plugs at the bottom to let the water out. But the water kept gathering in there under the carpet.

Where was the water coming from?

I took the scuttle panel off from the bulkhead and looked around the pollen filter housing, which is an absolute joke - German engineering and this thing is so flimsy - this must be where my water is coming in from?

Qs -
Opinions needed please with regards to where water is coming from
What is the best way to seal this pollen filter housing to stop the water getting in from again?
Do you think theres any damage to my glovebox mechanism?
Where can I get a new comfort module from? Preferably I dont want to spend a fortune on a brand new factory one!
My part number is 8H0959433D
Theres one on ebay which is 8H0959433M?

I have had to put a plastic cover over my car until I can get this sorted as my windows dont go up now either!
This is devestating to me. I have already had so many issues with the car already I am thinking I shouldve stayed jap :(

Last edited:
That seal went on a mates A6 and caused a similar fault was replaced and everything was fine. Your best best is to get on eBay now and look for one of these, or look at all the breaking adds. While your replace the seal around the air filter I would also look at the ecu seal as these can also fail. These should be rubber seals rather than crap foam ones.

Where do I get new rubber seals for the pollen filter box and also the ecu seal?
As the factory ones are pishy foam ones......

Will that part number work or does that last lil letter make a difference?

Reactions: BRILLO
There is a factory recall to check the drain grommets under the battery - this allows the water to drain and not collect in this bulkhead where the pollen filter is located.
This problem is well documented on the B6 forum linked here.

Comfort module part only £220~£250 new from Audi - will require coding with VAG-COM/VCDS. Units do appear on Ebay but make sure you get the correct part number with revision number or a later compatible version. Should be able to pick one up for ~£100 I guess.

I am a saloon owner so not familiar with Cab glovebox but recall it is locked electronically with the cars central locking. Depends where this locking motor is located with resepct to water path if there is any damage? Others can advise I am sure.

but make sure you get the correct part number with revision number or a later compatible version.

So part number 8H0959433M will this work? its only the last letter different to mine which is D.

Also, I didnt see any water collecting in the bulk head at all? I was just commenting about the pollen filter housing being flimsy and thought water must get in around the seals.....

So part number 8H0959433M will this work? its only the last letter different to mine which is D.

Also, I didnt see any water collecting in the bulk head at all? I was just commenting about the pollen filter housing being flimsy and thought water must get in around the seals.....

Need your VIN number to work it out exactly as the ETKA version I have does not list an M version - probably a much later revision.

There are four versions of Convenience module for the A4 Cabrio based on VIN number and transmitter frequency of the keyfob.

from ETKA 7.2 (724/105):
[illuistration 951-10]

8H0 959 433 _
B = ">> 8H3-3-005 000*" = PR-5D1 (433.91MHz to 434.42MHz)
K = "8H-3-005 001 >>" & "8H-4-900 001 >>" = PR-5D1 (433.91MHz to 434.42MHz)

A = ">> 8H3-002 000*" = PR-5D2 / PR-5D3 / PR-5D4 (315MHz)
L = "8H-3-002 001 >>" & "8H-4-900 001 >>" = PR-5D2 / PR-5D3 / PR-5D4 (315MHz)

Look inside your service manual or boot spare wheel sticker to see the factory spec options and you should see one of the 5Dx codes - this tells you the keyfob frequency used - if UK spec car I suspect it will be 5D1.

At a guess (don't hold me to it) I think that M version is a replacement for K version.

Bit more searching through ETKA on Version D reveals the following.......
8H0 959 433 _
D dropped 1/10/2004 use F
F dropped 1/6/2006 use H
H dropped 1/9/2006 use K
K dropped 1/11/2007 use M

So yes M is good for a D replacement!

Last edited:
Hi Guys, after reading about this I went outside to check my car, especially given the evening before the heavens opened and it chucked it down like rivers. However, checked under the battery and it was dry as a bone. Nevertheless this morning I rang Audi, gave them my erg number, they checked and said there was no outstanding recall for my car. When I get a couple of days off, I shall give it a good check over to confirm.

Can someone tell me how to use vagcom to program the new module in?

Start Here to familiarise yourself with VAG-COM/VCDS.
The Convenience Module is [46].

Based on your car spec. do the following with the help of this information:
1. Coding - add all the relevant numbers to get a coding value.
2. Adaption of Channel 61 & 62 - again as per car spec.
3. Programme module with Remote Keys - Adaption Channel 21

Reactions: InFlames
I have absolutely no idea how to use Vagcom, as its my friend that has it on his computer. Also it is only the lite cable he is using therefore the full software wont work with it. I'll need to find someone else who can do this for me.