Retro fitting cruise control on a B6 avant - complex?

wafers

Reaction score
I have found a car with cruise control which is breaking and have always fancied it fitted on my avant. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the stalk and module is needed. Anyone done it, got instructions (and pics if poss!) and advice? Or is it not worth the hassle and work?

It's actually a really easy job to do.
You need to whip the lower steering collum cover off, whip off the steering wheel, take off the stalks. Swap over with the new ones, put it all back together.
VCDS the correct settings and job done.

Just make sure you take off the stalks AND the steering wheel control module as well, without that you are ********...

Stalk (s)? Steering wheel control module? Tell me more...

make sure the stalk is from an avant as they differ from avant to saloon, i did mine along with dis in about 2 hours

Still don't know what/where steering wheel module is? Help!

Excellent link, think I will give it a go. Cheers!

Well, I have been to the breakers and have removed the complete stalk and module assembly (the whole lot slid off in one piece) complete with indicator ring thing secured to the front. The indicator ring has rotated slightly as I removed the whole lot. Could I just fit the entire lot onto my Avant? What about centring the indicator ring?

Bump, anyone know if I can fit it straight on?

you can but will need someone to code the ecu to tell it that its fitted now. You can drive it but you will have abs,airbag and brake warning lights on as when disconnecting everything and plugging in new pieces the ecu will be confused. Did the parts come from an avant?

Yes they came from an avant. Is the ECU programming straightforward? I have a friend with vagcom on his laptop, but am not sure if I should unleash him on my pride and joy?!

i followed this thread, there is all the info in here but as its a large thread it takes some time, somewhere near the end there is a link to a pdf which tells you all the vagcom coding and everything

Thanks Swarcup, will have a thorough read in that case.