Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Retro fitting cruise control on a B6 avant - complex?

I have found a car with cruise control which is breaking and have always fancied it fitted on my avant. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the stalk and module is needed. Anyone done it, got instructions (and pics if poss!) and advice? Or is it not worth the hassle and work?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    It's actually a really easy job to do.
    You need to whip the lower steering collum cover off, whip off the steering wheel, take off the stalks. Swap over with the new ones, put it all back together.
    VCDS the correct settings and job done.
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just make sure you take off the stalks AND the steering wheel control module as well, without that you are buggered...
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Neutral

Status
    Stalk (s)? Steering wheel control module? Tell me more...

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    make sure the stalk is from an avant as they differ from avant to saloon, i did mine along with dis in about 2 hours
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Neutral

Status
    Still don't know what/where steering wheel module is? Help!

Reverse Gear

Status

Neutral

Status
    Excellent link, think I will give it a go. Cheers!

Neutral

Status
    Well, I have been to the breakers and have removed the complete stalk and module assembly (the whole lot slid off in one piece) complete with indicator ring thing secured to the front. The indicator ring has rotated slightly as I removed the whole lot. Could I just fit the entire lot onto my Avant? What about centring the indicator ring?

Neutral

Status
    Bump, anyone know if I can fit it straight on?

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    you can but will need someone to code the ecu to tell it that its fitted now. You can drive it but you will have abs,airbag and brake warning lights on as when disconnecting everything and plugging in new pieces the ecu will be confused. Did the parts come from an avant?
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Neutral

Status
    Yes they came from an avant. Is the ECU programming straightforward? I have a friend with vagcom on his laptop, but am not sure if I should unleash him on my pride and joy?!

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    i followed this thread, there is all the info in here but as its a large thread it takes some time, somewhere near the end there is a link to a pdf which tells you all the vagcom coding and everything

Neutral

Status
    Thanks Swarcup, will have a thorough read in that case.