Urgent advice needed - options for B6 sport shocks?

Reaction score
I've just found out my rear shocks are knackered and need replacing quickly. It's a 3.0 B6 quattro avant with factory sports suspension. I think i'm looking at €350 locally for rear shocks and bushes but I want to work out what my options are. Looking at coilovers online a lot of them seem to exclude sport models.
any advice appreciated.
cheers
nj

Great. Looks like my mechanic already bought the parts so I have to take them or tell him to take them back. hmmm... He does buy good stuff as he has a rally team but might have been nice to have the option to buy in a full set of something I want instead.

Hopefully he's bought a pair of nice new OEM shocks mate.

hmm. don't think they're OEM but he knows his stuff. In the past he has recommended OEM where he thinks it better or something else if he thinks that's better than OEM. Like the tie rod ends. He said OEM are **** because the compound is too soft (hence impossible to remove them when they get old) but gave me the thumbs up for the Meyle HD parts. Well.. that's what I think he said. He could have called me an annoying pain in the ****. My Finnish isn't too great yet :)
I just emailed him to check what new shocks he got and to double check he knows my sport suspension is 20mm lower than std.

Buggr it. He has Sachs shocks in the proper size at €121 each and €66 for bushes. I looked last night and the existing ones are truly forked so I'm going to strip the interior sides to save him time (and me labour costs) and get him to swap them over on Tuesday. They aren't safe as they are so it's best I just get them changed as soon as possible. I don't have enough room in my rental garage to get a jack in at each side so I'll save myself the hassle and use that time for my double din conversion, new rear wiper motor and various other tasks needing done.

Hmm. I just found a 3.0 quattro avant being broken and the seller says it has red sports shocks and springs factory fitted. I don't think mine are red though. Does that sound like factory sports suspension or something else? Or maybe mine are red but amazingly dirty and I didn't notice? :)

Last edited:
RED = SPORTS
BLACK = SE

They say red its really more of a pale red on mine and with the grime can be mistaken, im about to do the fronts on mine chasing a knocking noise,already changed the pinch bolts so getting the shocks out is easy now.

thanks mate. it's likely mine are the same then. just need to establish if there's any point getting another used set if they might be the same as my own.

Do I need to get the interior plastics out in the back to access the tops (i'm thinking of my s2 as the last car I changed shocks on) or is it all done simply from underneath mate?