Radio problem

jolly14

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My speakers have started to crackle a bit and sometimes go off for a split second but its not all time, sometimes its 1 of the back ones then 1 of the front ones will do it but not all together.

Thanks Jay

It could be brocken wires.My o/s door speakers have done this so I wiggled the wires in the loom and they came on and so far not failed again .It is possible to open the loom and make a permanent repair

check the wiring isnt damaged in the rubber sleeve between door post and the door, mines just been repaired

Its normally the connector between the door and the car that is causing the problem. Audi's repair/fix is to clean all of the grease out of this connector as the grease breaks down over time. Quite a messy time consuming job using wd 40/ carb cleaner and then electrical contact cleaner but it has worked on mine.

Would the connectors need cleaning on all the doors then because they all crackle or is it just 1 connector that controls them all. Also on the subject is it true that its a pain in the ar5e to get a proper sub installed as the 1 in the avant sounds like a wet fart. Please post pictures up of your subs if you have done this.

Many thanks Jay

If you have Bose then chances are the crackling is the amp on the way out. Can be cured sometimes by just reflowing the main solder joints on the PCB as they seem to suffer from dry joints after 8-10 years.
Crackling fronts/rears is often due to dirty connections between the door pillar and the door, but are a ******* to get to. This is normally identified if they stop crackling when you jack up the volume (overcoming the resistance from a dirty joint).
Adding a sub is relatively easy, you just need to run power from the battery (through the ECU cover is easiest) and then pick up the rear pre-outs and remote on from the rear amp. Here's a stealth install I did on my old Avant
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-entertainment/18403-a4-avant-b6-stealth-sub-install.html
Updated pic of finished article
HPIM0615.jpg

That's just what i'm after AndyMac and if you dont mind me asking how much did the sub cost thanks for your reply and info.

Jay

Last edited:
the sub is just a stock JL Audio 6.5" unit, although you could fit their 8" version, both are around £100-£120.
The enclosure I made myself, the amp bought off ebay for £60.

AndyMac you mention cutting the rear panel a bit, is that so it does'nt touch the sub. I'm not very good at the wiring side of things so how long would it take a someone to run the cables through as i have some sony amps that i could use.

Cheers Jay

You have to chop the whole back off the boot panel cubbyhole behind the removable door as this currently occupies most of the space behind the boot panel where the sub needs to go.
You just need to run a power cable from the battery which takes 1 hour maximum. All the other wiring can be picked up from the rear amp connector on the drivers side where you can mount the amp (once you've removed the tupperware sub).

Thanks AndyMac i'll let you know how it goes i just hope i dont set something on fire.

Cheers Jay