Bleeding Brakes!!

Rhencullen1989

190 S LINE QUATTRO
Reaction score
Hi, need to change my brake/clutch fluid, i have bought a pressure fed bleeding kit so should be straight forward, question is what order do i bleed in, clutch first or last, front left, right, rear left, right?

I used to think you started with the furthest away but have things changed. Also how much fluid should i bleed from each calliper, i was thinking of about a jam jar full?

Sorry to jump on the band wagon I was having a discussion with my gramps the other day about changing the brake fluid and he said he has not changed his since he had his car new in the early 90's we only talked about it as I mentoned audi had recommended that I have it done.....just want to know what other people think as Im thinking the same why change it ok I hear the stories about brake fluid absorbs water but you could say the same about a bottle of the stuff sitting on a self in a dealers?!

Last edited:
Ive always been taught to start the opposite end of the master cylinder, then do the opostite of that and so on , always done like this with no problems. Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years as it does absorb mositure and this affects the boiling point of the fluid, can cause brake fade, seals to deteriorate etc..... The stuff at the dealers is in a sealed container so this is not a problem.

Sorry to jump on the band wagon I was having a discussion with my gramps the other day about changing the brake fluid and he said he has not changed his since he had his car new in the early 90's we only talked about it as I mentoned audi had recommended that I have it done.....just want to know what other people think as Im thinking the same why change it ok I hear the stories about brake fluid absorbs water but you could say the same about a bottle of the stuff sitting on a self in a dealers?!
As a Gramps myself I do not think that its strictly necessary to change the fluid if there are no problems and the car MOTs OK.Obviously it wont do any harm unless some mechanic forgets to tighten up something as happened to a friend of my sons who knowing nothing about cars then decided that the fluid loss just required him to buy a gallon of fluid and top up regularly

I hear the stories about brake fluid absorbs water but you could say the same about a bottle of the stuff sitting on a self in a dealers?!

As brake fluid heats up and cools condensation is formed in the lines which can contaminate the brake fluid overtime.

bleeding brakes on the B6 is a pain in tha A**
start N/S/R , O/S/R , N/S/F then O/S/F
cheech

Hi cheech, why are they a pain to bleed, i have a pressure bleeding kit, surely it's just a matter of cracking off the bleed nipples in the correct sequence? When does the clutch get bled, before or after the brakes, as it shares the same fluid.

the clutch might share the same fluid but it has a different master cylinder and is a different circuit from the brakes if it wasnt the brakes would work the clutch and vise versa

it will make no odds if you do the clutch or brakes first

It's only a pain in the **** if you are bleeding the brakes with the wheels on, Im pretty sure there is no requirement to bleed the clutch, I know i have never had to and even at dealers they don't, It's more important that the brake fluid is done, I don't agree with others saying it does not need doing, this is the wrong advice imo.

when i fitted s4 calipers and disks on my V6 QS ,
i also fitted stainless braided goodyear hoses all round , when doing the rear hoses,
i dropped the caliper :(
which meant all fluid drained from it and it took about 4 ltrs of fluid , whilst using eezi bleed system also old fasioned jar and hose to get all the air from system ,
so thats why i said they are a pain

thx
cheech

elsa says do clutch first i think

A brake fluid change should be done with a diagnostic machine this operates the abs pump while bleeding the system and bleeds the system in a very specific way
and as for the fluid change sceptics its very important that brake fluid is changed as its Hygroscopic which means it absorbs water ,
you probably wont notice this in general use only that it in time can ****** up components due too corrosion
but you will notice it when you may have to do an emergency stop as what happens it the moisture boils in the system and turns to steam obviously this in turn drops your brake pedal to the floor and you have no brakes as the steam has no resistance compared to fluid
there has been many cases of this happening in accidents
after the crash the cars have been checked and the brakes are perfect again as the steam has turned into water again and a solid brake pedal is back and working correctly
also its not just absorbed through the reservoir cap its absorbed through other components in the brake system over time
so get the fluid changed every 2-3 years :)