Brake Warning Light

markwilliams82

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help with the warning lights on my A4

Whilst on holiday, I had the yellow break warning and ESP symbol come on. I got the RAC to come out and he checked over the breaks and fluid levels and all was ok. When he plugged in his diag laptop it popped up an error regarding the break light switch. And after that I got the big red brake symbol flashing on the HUD and also the red brake/handbrake symbol flashing above.

I got home and replaced the brake light switch and now the yellow warnings have gone, however I've still got the big red brake symbol flashing on the hud and also the red brake/handbrake symbol flashing above.

Can this be reset? All brakes are fine and fluid levels are all ok too

Would changing the switch linked on the clutch make any difference or is just a case of getting the brake warning reset in vagcom? I tried unplugging the battery for 5-10 mins but it made no difference

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks guys

i seem to remember mine did this when the battery was knackered....

It would really help to know the spec of your car.

apparently the "BRAKE(!)" error often happens if the battery is knackered or on it's way out.

It was happening with mine so much a few months ago that I had a chat with the Audi technician and apparently the other time that it happens is particularly common with TDI's (and with my car, especially when the engine is fairly cold) - when the ignition is first switched on, the current required to fire up 6 glow-plugs is sufficiently high that it causes a brake failure sensor to trigger a flase alarm.

It only happens when the ignition is first switched on and normally only <10deg C.

He offered to fit a "fix"... which is apparently just an extra circuit that puts in a time delay and ignores those brake failure errors for the first few seconds after the igniftion is first switched on.

Its the TDI Sport 130bhp Manual 5 speed gear box, what other spec do you need to know?

The error code and symbols I got initially was "Brake Light Switch - Implausible Signal" and the yellow ABS and ESP lights as well as the red (!) and BRAKE warning on the HUD. I've swapped the brake light switch with one from GSF which doesnt seem to be a tight fit as the original but it cleared the yellow lights but left the red warnings.

Tried testing the battery and it seems ok and I get the BRAKE (!) warning both on the main HUD display and on the symbols above lit up all the time, not just on start up. Since replacing the original brake light switch I've been able to borrow a VW/Audi error code reader and it still flags up as "Brake Light Switch - Implausible Signal"

Really stuck as what could be causing it, I'd ask if it was a faulty switch but the rear breaks lights work since replacing the faulty one

is it an oem brake switch? should be in nice and tight when clicked in place. Fairly sure its not the clutch switch, quick way to test is either see if cruise is working if you have it or disconnect the wire and bridge the connections. probably the battery, mine started giving the red brake warning as the battery was on its way out,but that was in the depths of winter when it was -10

Its not a genuine Audi brake switch no, so I was thinking of getting a genuine one from Audi instead.
But when its installed it doesnt fit firmly in place like the old one or the clutch switch, it seems to wobble around slightly. Cant test the clutch one as dont have cruise control.

Is there anyway to test the battery? We put a voltmeter on yesterday and everything seemed ok with it

ah, okay.... the problem I saw was ONLY ever on startup and had cleared within 10 seconds of starting the engine.

I have an audi a4 convertible, and the exact same thing has happened to me. Not sure if it's linked to me fitting HID LIGHT kit the other day ??? But since then all the above lights have come on and also my speedometer has stopped working??? SOMEONE HELP!! what should I do?? This is really enoying

I have an audi a4 convertible, and the exact same thing has happened to me. Not sure if it's linked to me fitting HID LIGHT kit the other day ??? But since then all the above lights have come on and also my speedometer has stopped working??? SOMEONE HELP!! what should I do?? This is really enoying
Have you put the controllers near the ABS unit?

Hi there, not sure??, where is the ABS UNIT in the engine compartment .... And would that make any difference ?? Cheers

Hi there, not sure??, where is the ABS UNIT in the engine compartment .... And would that make any difference ?? Cheers
Right hand side of the engine bay by the washer bottle. There has been a few people saying if it's too close it can interfere.

Hi again, yes I did put the ballast for the HID Lights against a part of the engine near the window washer bottle. It's got kind of brake pipe coming out off it, and that's what I've rested it against??? You think thats the problem?? Cheers

Very likely your problem. Can you temporarily relocate it as close to the bulkhead as you can and see what happens?

Thanks guys I'll try and let you know... What about the speedometer not working when the hid lights are on, but works when they re off??? Confusing I know??

Speed will come through one of the ABS sensors, so when it's on it'll interfere through the abs unit.

Thanks guys, I moved the ballest to the front of the engine away from the abs unit. It right beside the lights now, nothing visible to interfere with it now. BUT im afraid once I put the lights on again the same thing happened. I'm convinced it's to do with electrical issue, maybes surge in power??? Fine when lights are off..... Really annoying though!! Anyone got any other ideas to fix???? Help

Not sure if it is related to the above and probably common knowledge on here but if both back break bulbs are blown it will throw up the ESP Light and Break Light (I Believe). But this happens even if the lights are off and the warning lights come on first push of the break afaik so is probably unrelated.

Move the ballasts as far back in the car, towards the bulkhead as you can. There's a lot of electric at the front which can suffer interference from the high voltage.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I'll try that and let you all know, I heard someone say you can by pass the wiring somehow to prevent the brake lights eps ect going on, is that true??? Thank