Help choosing quality HID Kit thats DIS freindly :)

paulsaudi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to purchase a HID kit and wondered what type you have put in your A4 without getting all kinds of dash lights coming up!!!

I know someone who put a Canbus friendly one in and it still lit the dash up like a xmas tree!!

Can someone please let me know a kit that our Audi B6's likes

Car : 2003 Audi A4 2.5 V6 TDI ( B6 )

Thanks

Paul

If the kit states canbus then you should be fine. A lot of sellers on eBay say canbus kits but actually aren't, so just make sure it actually says it is on the kit, like on the ballast pack normally.

I had a canbus kit on my car until about 2 weeks ago when one of the ballasts packed up, but that was on the car for a good couple or 3 years without any problems with errors at all. I'm now in search of a new kit myself.

It's not so much the canbus that's the problem it's where you locate your ballasts that gives the dashboard errors. Any where near the crash sensors in the front of the car near the rad and you will get abs/brake error on dash. I had this problem with mine. I mounted the drivers side ballast up behind the airbox and the passengers side I cable tied to the brake lines going into the abs unit. I have had zero dash errors or fault codes since.

Pm if you want me to take some pics of the ballast location and the kit I bought.

Garry

Very true Gaz, I had exactly the same problem with mine showing the occasional abs warning on the dash, relocated the ballast inside the front passenger side wing and it was fine after that.

These are the ones i bought. 6000K are the best colour with a slight tint of blue. I apid £49 for them as well so a bargain at that price.

CANBUS XENON HID KIT Audi A3 03- H7 6000K FREE P&P | eBay UK

I cut a hole in the back of the cover you remove to fit the bulbs and put the wires straight through.

heres drivers side. you can see the blue ballast and wires running under airbox.
IMG_3090.jpg

heres passenger side cable tied to brake pipes.
IMG_3087.jpg

hidsdirect work fine no probs used them maybe 40 50 times on various cars good prices and aftercare should you need it

and you dont have the silly big resistors like in the pic above
slim digital ballasts

Hi Holmefield,

I am not new to HID kits i have fitted many to my own and others cars.

You are right the difference is shocking!!!! Hence why i want them in the A4, I just want a kit that works well with our fussy systems.

:)

Hi Holmefield,

I am not new to HID kits i have fitted many to my own and others cars.

You are right the difference is shocking!!!! Hence why i want them in the A4, I just want a kit that works well with our fussy systems.

:)

As above. Mines works with my full dis.

These are the ones i bought. 6000K are the best colour with a slight tint of blue. I apid £49 for them as well so a bargain at that price.

CANBUS XENON HID KIT Audi A3 03- H7 6000K FREE P&P | eBay UK

I cut a hole in the back of the cover you remove to fit the bulbs and put the wires straight through.

heres drivers side. you can see the blue ballast and wires running under airbox.
IMG_3090.jpg

heres passenger side cable tied to brake pipes.
IMG_3087.jpg

I purchased these in the link..............and what i nightmare!!!!!

My dash lights went mental!!!! ESP, ABS, Handbrake light also flashing and EML!!! EML came on because the HIDs faulted speed sensor!!!

I have a code reader that turned EML off but no matter where i located ballasts i got lights!!!

So how did i fix.....................

I took the "HIDs Direct" set out of my wifes new picasso and put them into mine with no problems, no lights etc.

The other set are in picasso.

the "HIDs Direct" ballast look a lot more insulated etc compared to the bare metal blue ones.

Hopefully all will be ok now.

On the newer audis you will need a special kit we sell these for £99.99 RRP (Although there not onn our site at the minute theyve only just come out) we also use them on the new bmw 1 series vehicles which are known for being very problematic without any issues its a special kit weve had made just for these newer luxury vehicles the ballasts are extremely thick and heavy and very high quailty the bulbs are also metal opposed to plastic.

Heres some pictures of one installed to my 09 a3 with no dis errors no flickering no bother no extra plug in resistors required otr anything like that either!

The little ballasts above are DC current btw so they would never work correct on a a car like and audi with canbus / DIS :(

Please pm me if you want any more details i run one of the first HID KIT suppliers in uk before all the cheap non experienced importers came along XENONSHOP UK

3080-dscf2748.JPG

Last edited:
My kit was around £60, my airbag light does come on though, but then goes out, but having just looked above, looks like i've got the ballast mounted in the wrong place.

Sorry for Reviving this; I've mounted my Fat Ballast with built in Cancellor under the headlights with no problems. Is it likely to cause interference causing any lights to come up on the dash?