EM TuningVolks Autos
    5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status

2.5 v6 tdi engine mount swap

Now chaps

i believe that the knocking noise from the front drivers side has been diagnosed today as being the front drivers side engine mount. Can anyone advise the procedure for changing this? Ive tried a search but couldnt turn up any info. I cant see it being to hard.
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Didn't Turkster do it a few weeks ago?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

Status
    you could be lucky by just undoing the bolts then jack engine up slightly so that the mount can be removed and then the new can be placed, admittedly I did this on a nissan micra but hey u never know hehe

6th Gear

Status
    You need the front bumper removed and the lock carrier moved forward so you can unbolt the snub mount. Then you need to jack the engine up with a engine crane so you can take the mount off. You need to lift it quite high and i would not recommend a jack as you can puncture the sump. Been there, done that ! I would make shure it's not one of the susp. arms/balljoints/drop inks first before blaming the mount. Is there any red oil (blood like) on the mount ?
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    Been through the suspension with a fine tooth comb all bushes are new ,new drop link,new trackrod ends to drive it feels like new. it always knocks on take off and when you take your foot off, what i did notice was that the snub mount rubber was split would this knock do you think? and i cant see any oil coming from it
    Last edited by swarcup; 1st July 2011 at 23:12.
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

6th Gear

Status
    If the snub mount is split then it will allow the engine to move forward too much breaking the engine mounts in the process. The mounts are hydraulic (oil filled with a solenoid witch make them stiffer when the engine is on load and keeps vibrations to a minimum). You could upgrade to the rs4 ones-they have a stiffer elastomer but will transmit more engine vibrations to the cabin/driver. I have seen broken engine mounts on petrols but not on diesels really. One thing to check, lift the engine from one side and check that the alloy part of the mount did not come apart from the mount. The bolt has a 17mm hex on the back and- as the alloy ages- it's not enough to transmit the load onto the surface of the mount thus breaking- hence the clunking noise !

FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Didn't Turkster do it a few weeks ago?
    Not yet mate, a job i still need to get round to doing,

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    If the snub mount is split then it will allow the engine to move forward too much breaking the engine mounts in the process. The mounts are hydraulic (oil filled with a solenoid witch make them stiffer when the engine is on load and keeps vibrations to a minimum). You could upgrade to the rs4 ones-they have a stiffer elastomer but will transmit more engine vibrations to the cabin/driver. I have seen broken engine mounts on petrols but not on diesels really. One thing to check, lift the engine from one side and check that the alloy part of the mount did not come apart from the mount. The bolt has a 17mm hex on the back and- as the alloy ages- it's not enough to transmit the load onto the surface of the mount thus breaking- hence the clunking noise !

whats a snub mount?

6th Gear

Status
    Snub mount is the front polyurethane mount bellow the radiator/close to the crank pulley. It's held in place by 3/4 bolts. When the rubber splits it allows the engine to move more thus breaking the engine mounts as they're not designed to move that much. Ussualy you can feel the engine moving up when that happens on hard acceleration.
    FOR SALE:

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    cheers chris and thanks for your help mate.The mount is cracked and quite soft to push, if you pick at the rubber, bits come off easily in like a powder way.The gear stick moves back and forth also when you accelerate and let off by about an inch.Where is the best place to get a new one is it from audi or is there another supplier, fell out with the audi dealer last week(useless parts counter ballsup)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Snub mount is the front polyurethane mount bellow the radiator/close to the crank pulley. It's held in place by 3/4 bolts. When the rubber splits it allows the engine to move more thus breaking the engine mounts as they're not designed to move that much. Ussualy you can feel the engine moving up when that happens on hard acceleration.
    So its best to change the Snub at the same time as the Engine mount then or your gonna be doing the same job again unless you fix that,

What sort of money are they to buy and can you change it when doing the engine mount?

Cheers

paul

4th Gear

Status
    I recently replaced mine with this one. You can change it when the front is in the service position (not that I changed it myself I was having some other work done so got it to have it swapped out at the same time)

The old one was very soft altho not broken. But it stopped the clunk I was getting when changing gear quickly since having a single mass flywheel fitted
    Sam,

Gone

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    the engine mount in question has the wiring plug on it. will it show up on a scan?

Status
    im interested to know what is the service position?

Neutral

Status
    i changed the snub mount on my v6 on sat WITHOUT putting into service position !!!!
    you just have to move brkt around to get at top 8mm allen bolt

cheech

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    i changed the snub mount on my v6 on sat WITHOUT putting into service position !!!!

cheech
    good lad thats the kind of info i like, where did you source the new mount out of interest and how did you support your engine?

Turkster the service position is where the front end of the car pulls out around 150mm or so to give more room at the front to work. I believe you have to undo the bumper side bolts and the top ones on the front panel to do it

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post

cheech
    Snub mount it's easy to change with bumper in situ, fiddly but doable, engine mounts require the car to be in the service position and the engine needs lifting up high enough so the mount comes off...Not a tricky job but time consuming never the less...
    FOR SALE:

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    still havn't done this yet but was looking to make sure it is the mount first, i have now changed all 4 arms drop links and track rod ends. On the weekend with the bonnet up on set off looking at the gap under the raised bonnet you could see the drivers side of the engine lifting 2-3 inches while the other side stayed put so im thinking it is deffo the drivers engine mount. Anyone had this

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have something similar, gear stick moves with power on/off, I get quite a bit of vibration also at idle. VAG COM showed the electric engine mount with a fault so I had it replaced OEM, did not make any difference and fault is back but showing intermittent. This weekend, I will be looking at the snub mount, gearbox mount and opposite side engine mount. I believe the engine mounts leak a purple coloured gel when the are gone so I will be looking for this when inspecting the engine mounts.

Also as someone else has said, I have also read that if the snub mount is gone it can tear the engine mounts due to excess forward movement of the engine. Snub mount OEM is only about £6 and is supposed to be relatively easy to change.

I will watch your experience with interest and also let you know of anything I discover.

BTW ETKA says that both engine mounts are hydro electric but they do not seem to be, would be thankful if someone could confirm this.
    Last edited by Tarmons; 17th August 2011 at 09:26.

6th Gear

Status
    ^^^Early v6 tdi only had the passenger mount as active, later models had both mounts active...
    FOR SALE:

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks adamss244, Mine is a 2001, I assume you mean early B6 V6 Tdi?

Status
    im sure my 2001 has both sides mate, I think he may mean the B5 rather than the B6 ones.

Status
    Whats the differance between an All Road AKE engine mound and a A4 AKE engine mount ?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    Whats the differance between an All Road AKE engine mound and a A4 AKE engine mount ?
    Visually no difference, however the elastomer(rubber to you and me!) might be harder on the allroad so to cope with extra demands when going off road...
    FOR SALE:

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    im sure my 2001 has both sides mate, I think he may mean the B5 rather than the B6 ones.
    Yep, i meant b5 a4 v6 tdi, every b6 i worked on had both mounts active...
    FOR SALE:

Neutral

Status
    This is very interesting and I think it might pertain to myself though i dont believe that one of my engine mounts is gone. I'm getting a knocking coming from the back of the car, the only thing i can liken it to is the slap you get when a universal joint is gone.

Any experience of this? I was thinking it could be the rubber bush that holds the rear diff in situ

i'm pretty sure its number 7 on this image

Reverse Gear

Status
    lol I have this too! Yes, along with the other issues and no aircon, no working temperature or fuel gauges, cam wear, timing belt due, etc, etc, thats before I get new alloys and after forking out €500 for 6 months road tax - thankfully I like the car :D

There is a thud, especially as 1st gear starts to engage, like the diff hopping off the underneath of the car. Getting the car up on a lift this weekend to view ALL the mounts lol.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    check the rear antiroll bar the plastic collars drop off leaving it to cause a knock, a nice new rs4 one cured mine.

had my car scanned with vagcom to see if it threw an an engine mount code and nothing yet you can physically see the engine lifting, may have to investigate if the mount has sheared

Neutral

Status
    I dont think its the anti-roll bar on the car (though i may be wrong), anti roll bar bush being gone is a much more gentle sound and the knock you get from an anti roll bar wouldn't be specific to changing gear.

Neutral

Status
    hi
    Just to let u know i changed my V6 QS TDI Engine mounts today

AND I DID NOT NEED TO PUT INTO SERVICE POSITION
    just watch the viscous fan when lifting to make sure it clears cowling

thx
    cheech