battery removal???

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
I went to see how to remove my battery tonight witht a plan of doing it tommorrow, but it was not what i was expecting........I thought it was a couple of clamps you undo with a long reach driver, no clamps either side??? so i thought maybe the battery located in some way and tried to lift straight up, no luck. So I am a bit stumped. I did notice that there was some kinda form to the the back right of the battery at the base but it was dark outside and I didnt really have any tools to give it a prise........
Any ideas?

there is one at the front of battery very hard to get on to but it has a handdle in top to grab if thant makes sense

makes it easyier to take pannel off. and the part that you undo to get battery out has the handle on it pain in the *** to do

the below is a great guide posted by pj123 which i also used to clean the drain holes under the battery.
if i can do it, anyone can......
smilie.png

"It really is an easy DIY fix, will take you about an hour max.

- under the bonnet remove the plastic cover across the top of the battery by removing the rubber strip that runs the full width of the car. Just pulls off.
- Disconnect the negative lead on the battery then the positive which has two nuts to undo.
- The battery is secure on the front side of the battery at the base with a allen key head. A long allen key is required for this.
- Lift the battery out
- Two nuts secure the battery support bracket. Below this is the first grommet (cam shaped rubber thing) which just pulls out.
- From memory you can then reach across to the drivers side below the brake servo (big round black thing) to get to the other grommet. There will probably be a cable/ wire running through the grommet itself. I just pushed the grommet through the hole and left it connected to the cable but you could cut the grommet free.

Reverse order to replace and always replace positive first then negative second.

I think you have a couple of hours of the battery being disconnected before you will need the radio code.
To make the key work again, put it into the ignition, turn to position 2 and press unlock and lock together.
The traction control light will be on after replacing the battery and starting the engine. This will go out when you start driving".

I'd not remove the water deflector unless you really feel the need to, I've never found it necessary and as it's been sat there accumulating crud for 8 years or more the odds are it will break (£16 and part number in sticky).

You need to undo Allen key bolt (4) on battery clamp (3):

Battery.jpg

thanks for all the advice. I actually had a quick look this morning in the light and can see properly. I removed rubber strip on top of firewall and then the loom lifts up and i could see the allan bolt. Got long reach keys at work so should be ok. Just hoping there is enough gap to bull battey up and out without removing the scuttle.

its a real tight fit but it does come out. I found it harder putting the new battry back in. it also hurts your back as you have to lean all the way over the car to lift. Properly easier to get someone to help you. the battries weigh a ton (on my 2.5tdiQ anyway)

all done and all good, but yeah, not very clever design. i was clearing my plenum drains. Seems very Odd, I did this in my last car a '98 passat. The rubber bungs are the same as in my 2003 A4. And this was a known problem over 5 years ago and they continue to use same design??? Hello? !!!