How to tell the difference between TDi100 and TDi130?

Grangey.

Reaction score
Hi all,

So im STILL on the prowl for a car and i have a question.

As there are two versions (maybe 3?) of the 1.9 tdi engine, i naturally see a number of different models for sale, some claiming tdi100 others tdi 130s etc. Now so far Ive been looking at a few and hoping the Tdi 100 claim was wrong and hope they are 130s- and how ive been doing that is entering their reg's into confused.com which comes back with the model. However every advertised tdi 100 ive managed to get a reg from so far and put through confused, has all come back as a tdi 130 model.

So, is there any way I can tell???

Also if I eventually inadvertantly end up with a tdi 100, being its a 1.9 the same as the 130 model, what is it exactly that makes the 130 the 130? Ie is it just a different turbo, or is it different compressions and all the rest of that jargon??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grangey

oh and on a side note I would just like to air my frustrations over the fact that 90% of the votex kitted tdi's appear to be in Belfast!!! come on!!! argh!

The 130's have a red i on the boot badge, but a safer bet is the data sticker in the boot which will tell you the power in KW HP, should also be in the owners manual.

100bhp = 74KW
115bhp = 85KW
130bhp = 96KW

To be doubly sure check the engine code in case it's had an engine swap.

Thanks mate thats a great help :)

Do you have any idea what makes the 3 engines so different? like what makes the 130bhp 30bhp better off than the 100bhp model?

Many thanks
Grangey

^^ Stronger rods, lower compression, bigger injectors/longer duration, different tune and a stronger turbocharger... That's most of the differences.

So not really something you can adapt the tdi100 engine into very easily/ cheaply.

Thanks! :)

well i have the 100 bph and if i keep it as im getting twichy feet right now im told a ramp would bring it upto 130 ish not sure if you could get more just from a re map some one on here will no more about that and price is around £200 i think

yeah thats why i want the 130 though , as a remap with those brings it to around 170bhp which is the sort of figures im after.:)

by your self a 2.5 tdi and be done with it lol

yep, the reason i bought a diesel is good MPG, the 2.5 is not good really. The 130 has a little bit of poke, while keeping good mpg.

A remap is meant to help with both too..

Ok ive just done a HPI check on the car and I have an engine number, is there any way I can tell off that if its a 100 or 130?

Surprisingly the report doesnt tell me which bhp model it is lol

Last edited:
did it not say on the hpi you did the only way i no is on the log book like q james said above it will tell u if its 100bhp = 74KW
115bhp = 85KW
130bhp = 96KW

Ive read in a few places you can tell by the first 3 letters of the engine code... was just hoping someone can confirm :)

hmmm ok on my log book it says my engine number starts with avb witch i no is the engine type so if its not avb its a safe bet its the 115 or 130 bph one now all we need is for some one to say what there 130 bph one starts with if that helps any

that IS handy thanks mate as thats backing up what ive read, the hpi says its AWX which from what ive read indicates its the 130! Would be very helpful for a 130 owner to confirm though! :)

Last edited:
ok looking at my haynes manual it has this listed 100 bph is AVB 115 bph is BKE and BRB the 130 bph is AVF and AWX hope this helps