Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

de chroming front grills

ahdoo fella's

only just got round to doing this mod !!!

is it essential to strip the chrome fully off,, or just sand it enough for prima to key ?????

also,, what sort of prima should i use and which sort of black should i use,
    dont want a really shiney black,
    but then again i dont want matt black either,, can look grey in certain lights !!!

cheers !!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I just did mine last week. I just took the grills out and popped the chrome off. I used something called plastidip. No need for primer and it looks good. It's a kind of matt black
    02 A4 B6 1.9tdi Avant sport 130bhp, 18" RS4's, Cruise control, Armrest, Ambiant lights, LED number plate bulbs,Pressed number plates, rear RS4 ARB, blacked out grills.
    Wanted : S line front and rear bumpers , S4 lower grill, s4 door blades

1st Gear

Status
    think you mis understood pal,,
    ive got the grills off the car,, i mean paint prep,, does the chrome have to come off,, or just be scratched up enough to get a good key for the paint/primer ?

1st Gear

Status
    I would take them off unless you want to paint those aswell. If you use the plastidip you don't need to scratch it up or prime it. It just goes straight on
    02 A4 B6 1.9tdi Avant sport 130bhp, 18" RS4's, Cruise control, Armrest, Ambiant lights, LED number plate bulbs,Pressed number plates, rear RS4 ARB, blacked out grills.
    Wanted : S line front and rear bumpers , S4 lower grill, s4 door blades

Vorsprung durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaky Lloyd View Post
    think you mis understood pal,,
    ive got the grills off the car,, i mean paint prep,, does the chrome have to come off,, or just be scratched up enough to get a good key for the paint/primer ?
    When I was spraying my grills, I removed the chrome and scratched it until there was no longer a shine! I then coated it 4 times with matt black heat resistant spray paint! I am not sure if you really need the heat resistant paint, but since it was near the engine I decided best to use it!. To finish off I finally coated it with a clear protective coat! Main reason being I am on the road all the time and didn't want all my hard work to be wasted with stone chip!

Done all this 4 months ago and still no stone chips, touch wood!lol Below a few pictures of the finished product! Hope this helps!

A4 B8 2.0TDI S-Line Executive

1st Gear

Status
    nice one,, thanks !!!

the plastidip sounds a good idea, but i think im gunna have to sand mine down due to the chrome bubbling in places, and pitting !!!

Vorsprung durch Technik

Status
    I have read good reviews about the Plastidip, will prob use that myself when I come to re-doing them! .. A good sand down will do it no harm esp if you say its bubbling etc! Nice Cheap mod and looks the part!

A4 B8 2.0TDI S-Line Executive

1st Gear

Status
    all finished,, wow,, cant believe something so simple could look so good !!!!

wish all mods where this cheap,

next on the list, is to paint the calipers silver and paint the disk guards and disk hubs black !!!!

wheels are still on the to do list,,, gunmetal at the moment,, gunna go hypersilver i think !

Hard To Spin

Status
    Plasti-dip is amazing, ive had it on for months and not a single chip
    2004 A4 Avant 190 (6) S'Line 1.8Tq | 18'' RS4s, GIAC Stage 1+, 007P, Miltek cat, ambient lights, Black Grill Mod, Jetex high flow filter, Gateway 100, Number Plate LEDs, DIS, Turbosmart 30psi Boost Gauge, 230bhp on a cold day!! much more to come next year!!

Future Mods | Drilled discs, milltek exhaust, red stuff pads, coilovers, in other words ...... $$$$$$$$$$!!

1st Gear

Status
    Ive literally just stuck mine on as well... looks great...

well I think it does anyway...
    my procedure was to sand down the chrome just lightly to allow primer to stick... then paint over that with gloss black... followed by a few coats of clear... 1200 grit paper should be enough... maybe 1000 if you want to smooth it out a bit more...

edit - just realised I havent got the lower grille done yet... have s-line grilles bought for s-line bumper upgrade but my waiting on my panel beater to fit me in next week...
    Last edited by Martin69; 7th July 2011 at 23:08.
    "I've never been in America... but I was in some state last night"

Neutral

Status
    This is what i did

3M Carbon Di-Noc £12.50 for a sheet, i did interior grab handles, grill and more and still got a load left. I even wrapped my key!!!