Reverse parking sensor switch.

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I wonder if someone can confirm the characteristics of this switch for me. When ignition is on, I assume the switch is off. When the car is put in reverse, does it automatically come on? Or do you have to manually turn it on if you need it when reversing? How about switching off, does it stay on until you switch it off?

(and am I right in thinking it has a little orange indicator light in the switch?)

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm just trying to clarify how it works.

There is no switch for rear sensors, there is one for front sensors but very few cars have them. The rear ones work automatically when you select reverse gear.

Ah right, so the switch in the dash (next to the ESP switch) is for the front sensors? Are they a standard on/off operation, like the ESP switch with the exception being it has a little light?

Assume its oem then Cabby is correct, have you checked front bumper for sensors?

Sorry, I'm not being very clear. I don't have the sensors, I'm looking to use the switch for an aftermarket rain sensing wiper system. I want a permanent switch that will activate/deactivate it when I choose and I didn't fancy the awful switch that comes with the kit, was hoping to get something a little more oem & the PDC switch seemed a good choice.

I have the switch with front and rear parking sensors, when reverse is selected both the front and rear sensors come on automatically however the switch can be used independantly and switches both the front and rear sensors on/off. They switch off automatically when you go above 10mph and you cannot turn them on again unless you are stationary or under the 10mph.

p.s. the light on the switch is green!

Its a push to touch switch though isnt it, its not locked switch position right, like a light switch on/off.

Right I see, so assuming I hook it up to a 12v source that's on with ignition (and connect it to the rain sensor unit) then I can touch it to turn on (with green light) and touch to turn off. Am I right? (Luckily, my friend is good with auto electrics, as I'm not too clues up on it!)

Us that right?

NHN you are correct it is a push to touch switch its not a locked position switch...Im not sure what 12v source to hook it up to but in theory yes I suppose you are right it is nice that it engages automatically when you select reverse I couldnt be doing with thh hassle of remembering to switch them on! Saying that my front ones are playing up at the mo and driving me mad telling me something is there when it is not.

Also with the original OEM system you get a beeping sound from the front of the car for thefront ones and one from the rear for the rear ones so you know which ones are working!

There wasn't an oem system on the b6 (as far as I'm aware) and I don't want to go down the route of changing the windscreen etc. for the B7 oem wipers. I can do it far cheaper another way - not strictly oem, but also not very expensive.

I'm sure my B6 S4 had auto wipers, I had auto lights for sure.

I have auto lights too, but there's no mention in ETKA of a mirror with rain sensor and I've never read about anyone with it.
... Done a bit of reading and consensus is that it was unavailable on the B6, despite being available on earlier Passats, Boras & Golfs!