Control arm set

kev1000

Reaction score
i am looking to do the same, the cost of arms only from euro car parts is £348(all 8) with no droplinks,track rod ends or bolts.Not sure how long the warranty is also. 4 years on these and you think they would be ok.

Meyle are probably the best quality you can get. I bought these for my B5 after making the huge mistake of buying a cheap ebay kit which destroyed itself after 4 months. Meyle were excellent as are AGP

LINKS dont work ?

Hi, took my car for its MOT yesterday and it passed but they advised me on the driver side front upper control arm having up & down movement.

How easy are these to replace and should I replace both the driver side upper control arms at the same time, as I was going to just replace the faulty one also how much are these?

Thanks

I just did mine with this full set and they're the dog's danglies. My tie rod ends and upper rear arms needed changed and i'd changed the rear rear arms and drop links last year to some other brand the garage found but I bit the bullet and did the whole lot to meyle HDs at once. I wanted to give it a bash myself but fell over straight away with the tie rod ends. pinch bolt on one side was so bad I had to cut and drill it off, then once it was free at that end I couldn't undo it from the stering arm. the OEM tie rod uses a rubber compound that has a bit of flex and there was no way to get it loosened with a spanner and mole grips. My mechanic (who runs a rally team and knows what he's doing) had to take the whole lot off and get a torch on it to get it undone. I don't feel quite as bad that I couldn't manage it myself since he had such trouble. He said he actually rebuilt and engine a few days before faster than it took him to do my suspension (most of that being the tie rod ends).
Of course your tie rod ends could be much freer so you may want to have a bash yourself.
good luck

meyle.jpg

Last edited:
Ive gone down the route of changing all the bushes in the arms as all the ball joints are ok got no play at all. possibly a waste of time and money but we will see

wow. was that not a phenominal pain in the *** changing the bushes? I tried once and ended up hammering, sawing and burning old ones out of the wishbones on my old 80 (long time ago now). getting the new ones in again was even worse.

Forget changing the bushes unless you have a proper press, or can fabricate one. The jobs hard enough without making it even worse and if the bushes need replacing the ball joints will be on their way as well. The Meyle kit is a much more heavy duty kit than stock, money well spent.
Copper grease the hell out of everything when refitting.

i have access to a press so it wont be to bad

Not really worth-it mate, unless you wanna use powerflex bushes wich will make the car "nervous". I will only use Lemforder (have a set on me a4 for over 4 years and no trouble whatsoever) or Meyle HD. The ordinary Meyle are on the same quality level with Delphi, Febi, etc. They are ok but not as good as the Lemforder stuff.

I just did mine with this full set and they're the dog's danglies. My tie rod ends and upper rear arms needed changed and i'd changed the rear rear arms and drop links last year to some other brand the garage found but I bit the bullet and did the whole lot to meyle HDs at once. I wanted to give it a bash myself but fell over straight away with the tie rod ends. pinch bolt on one side was so bad I had to cut and drill it off, then once it was free at that end I couldn't undo it from the stering arm. the OEM tie rod uses a rubber compound that has a bit of flex and there was no way to get it loosened with a spanner and mole grips. My mechanic (who runs a rally team and knows what he's doing) had to take the whole lot off and get a torch on it to get it undone. I don't feel quite as bad that I couldn't manage it myself since he had such trouble. He said he actually rebuilt and engine a few days before faster than it took him to do my suspension (most of that being the tie rod ends).
Of course your tie rod ends could be much freer so you may want to have a bash yourself.
good luck

I heard it a B*****d of a job to do, so will be getting my cousion to help me out who is a mechanic. Can't really afford to change them all, but was going to change both driver side uppers while i've got it stripped down.

I presume the meyle HDs kit you got all new bolts etc, with me only changing the uppers is it best to get the new bolts etc from Audi?

The prices I have ben given so far the both the uppers is around £20 each, is that about right?

Also, my A4 has sports suspension are the control arms the same as standard suspension ones?

Thanks

20 each sounds a bit light to be honest. I got dealer prices of £250 just for 4 pieces (2 tie rods and 2 upper rear arms) or about £1000 for the full set. With the Meyle HD kit you get everything including the nuts and bolts.
If you do get the audi parts I'd definitely get new nuts n' bolts, yeah because you may wreck the thread on one of the old parts or the rust could be a pain in the **** putting the bits back on.
You should def check those audi prices mate. I would have thought 60 quid each was nearer the mark, and then when you add a couple of nuts n' bolts you've maybe sepnt £130 and then you might start thinking that £400 for a full HD kit isn't actually that bad. Of course if you don't have available funds that's fair enough. It's ****** hard explaining high density suspenion arms to a woman when her new shoes are at stake :)
On a side note I did look at the £140 kits on ebay but by all accounts it's cheap chinese rubbish and you'll be back to buy dealer or meyle parts in a year anyway.

20 each sounds a bit light to be honest. I got dealer prices of £250 just for 4 pieces (2 tie rods and 2 upper rear arms)

Got price of £150 off Audi Dealer today for the 2 upper arms & replacement pinch bolt & nut, which is about you said.

Going to contact them again tomorrow to see if they can tell me the make/manufacture of the parts and I'll also ask the place who give me the cheaper price the same question to see if they are both the same. If they are, then it may be a case of Main dealer putting a massive mark up on the parts.

If they are, then it may be a case of Main dealer putting a massive mark up on the parts.

I think that's generally the case mate :) I'm not sure that the dealer will give you a manufacturer name, if for no other reason than the parts desk guy probably won't know. I was told by the guy who fitted my meyle hd parts (who has a small rally team here in finland) that the dealer tie rod ends at least are crap because the rubber compound is too soft. I'd imagine the dealer control arms are ok since most last for a good 100,000 miles or so.. but I'm still happy to have my meyle hd parts with 4 year warranty.

Do you know what condition your other control arms are in? even if they aren't due to be changed right now but they've never been changed before then it's possible you might end up doing them over the next couple of years... making 400 quid for the whole kit pretty good.

Got price of £150 off Audi Dealer today for the 2 upper arms & replacement pinch bolt & nut, which is about you said.

Going to contact them again tomorrow to see if they can tell me the make/manufacture of the parts and I'll also ask the place who give me the cheaper price the same question to see if they are both the same. If they are, then it may be a case of Main dealer putting a massive mark up on the parts.

If you want the Audi quality but don't want to pay the price then get lemforder from eurocarparts. When you get them you will notice a small area that has been ground down, that was where the 4 rings were. I just did the top arms on my B7 and the old arm had the lemforder mark as well as the audi rings.

eurocarparts also have a 30% discount going at the moment use SERVICE30

Thanks for that B5NUT.

I spoke to main dealer this morning and like what fourcircle said they couldn't tell me the make but just said they come with a 24month warranty & unlimited mileage.

I also spoke to the place who gave me the cheaper price, they said the cheap price was for unbranded generic budget parts with a 12 month warranty. They said they also sell OEM parts which were slightly higher in price (Front upper arms £36 / Rear upper arms £33) and these also come with the required new nuts & bolts. But said they will find out the make of the OEM parts and ring me back.

But will also check out eurocarparts, especially with a 30% discount.

Thanks

sounds like i've epic failed with a recent buy then, should know better.

at least it sounds like i'll be keeping that pinch bolt well lubricated rather than trying to break my hand with a hammer again

I also spoke to the place who gave me the cheaper price, they said the cheap price was for unbranded generic budget parts with a 12 month warranty. They said they also sell OEM parts which were slightly higher in price (Front upper arms £36 / Rear upper arms £33) and these also come with the required new nuts & bolts. But said they will find out the make of the OEM parts and ring me back.

The supplier of the OEM parts rang me back to confirm they are Lemforder parts, so including delivery & vat the 2 upper arms will cost around £92 which isn't to bad.

But will still check out Eurocar parts as the price of the Lemforder parts including the 30% discount are about the same price, just won't have to pay for delivery as there is a store about 10 mins away.

Is the discount only online or can it still be applied at the store?

online only. The online price for the two arms should be £83 when you apply the discount code. Also it's free delivery, if you don't mind waiting a couple of days.