Does my 2.5Tdi have Cambelt or Chain

mubzy79

Reaction score
Hi guys

just wandering if you can help I wanted to know if my 2.5 TDI V6 non Quattro has a Cambelt or Chain. I was speaking to a fellow member on here and he think I have a Cambelt rather than Chain. As i was informed when I bought the car from Car Sales that it has a Chain.

Look forward to your help

Hello mate as i said i am pretty sure its defo got a cambelt but will let others confirm this for you :)

i was getting told differing information when i was buying mine back in january, i nearly bought a 2005 cabriolet that had 90000 miles on it, i asked if the cam-belt had been done and the seller said no need as its a chain. luckily enough, when i rang audi to check its service history they told me the customer had been advised to have cam belt done but he declined. no need to say i walked away from the car and the seller still insisting it had a chain and not a belt.

its the 3.0tdi that comes with a chain.

lol, classic sales man. as said, the 2.5 is a belt. i had to pay 4k when mine went :|

I was haggling him down for a few hundred cuz my justification was i will have to get Cambelt done. That's when he informed me it doesnt need a Cambelt change as it has a Chain. Needless to say i bought the car

Wuhoo I was right. Defo get the cambelt done ASAP then mate.

I was haggling him down for a few hundred cuz my justification was i will have to get Cambelt done. That's when he informed me it doesnt need a Cambelt change as it has a Chain. Needless to say i bought the car

when did you buy the car??? was it private or garage??? if you got it from a garage i would go back and have a chat with him about him giving you the wrong information about the car and tell him it needs the cam belt doing, i know its a long shot, but he may come to a deal with you and give you something towards it, highly unlikely but maybe worth a go.

but as has been said, get it done asap!!!!

I've had it for about a year mate .... So I think it will be abit late to go back now
I'm still waitin for someone to come on here and tell me im right :)
i did get my local garage to give my car a once over when i bought it cuz my last Audi had the Multi tronic problem and the garage told me its in very good condition and very well looked after cuz of that I never bothered finding out myself from any1 whether it had cambelt or chain

when i rang audi to check its service history they told me the customer had been advised to have cam belt done but he declined.
I wouldn't always trust what Audi say ... they probably have on record that I declined a cambelt change on my RS4 - because it doesn't have a cambelt, it's a chain.

Skoda probably have the same record on my wifes Fabia 1.2, which also has a chain.

when you do get the belt changed, make sure you pay the extra 60 quid to get the water pump replaced as thats the weakest link with it all.

And also the tensioner and idler pulleys and both bolts holding them on.

yeah, them too. they should be part of the timing belt kit though. don't understand why vag miss out the waterpump from the kit when they know its such an issue

Dont forget thermostat too as its only £30 and worth doing as its only possible to change once all the belts etc are off.

Cheers guys for all your help............ looks like im gonna have a big bill on my hands as just last week spend £1,400 on alloys and tyres :(

Yeah it does sound expensive but if the cambelt snaps then its more like £2500-£3000 as it will do some damage so in real terms its well worth it! and doing the other bits n bobs at the same time as mentioned above will also save you money in the long run as if any of those relatively cheap parts did break then you would have to pay for another 6 hours labour getting them changed.

What sort of alloys and tyres did you get cos for £1400 im guessing they are new and shiney :)

i got sum 19" oettinger and sum vredestein Ultra Sessantas:)