Wiring parts help needed please!

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I have retrofitted an auto dimming rear view mirror with auto headlights & coming home function, all works great and it's great.

Only thing, I have auto dimming wing mirrors and want to fit them too, but I want it as OEM as possible, so I went to my dealer to see if he could find the correct clip/harness that goes into the wing mirror, so that when I run the wires down, it all fits in like it should. He couldn't find any harness or reference to it in any of his parts catalogue.

Does anybody have any idea as to the part number of the harness that I need please? Also, part numbers for the correct wires to fit in would be great too!

There is no harness, they come wired per requested mirrors, so check inside the mirrors for the wires already as tbh some are prewired even if not spec'd, if not there then you have to strip them down to run 2 new wires in, trust me its a ball breaker as I've done myself for other mods non related.

dont 1 with wireing in place
and had to add wires to another its not worth the time

Oh for christ sake, that's ridiculous*. I have wires and a plug on the mirrors, but they don't do anything to put into the plug?

My car is set to be in bits this weekend anyway, so I may have a go as I want the finished effect, but not going to bust a ball for it.

* - I complain, but I can't even comprehend the skills needed to design a car down to the last nut, bolt and almost the last wiring harness!

its fun takeing the full door frame out

As I said remove the mirror glass & see if it has any spare wires in there already, you maybe lucky on this occassion.

No luck I'm afraid, nothing behind there (except the motor and wiring for heated mirrors).

Bez - the full door frame? What do you mean? Like the door cards and all the stuff behind it too (window regulator etc)?

The mirror looms are held in place, so as to not get caught by the window mechanism, by plastic locating lugs that are wound into the looms themselves, so to remove the mirrors from the door, you have to lift the top of the doors of via undoing of said bolts, this reveals the loom & fixings, then remove the mirror, fit new or add wiring into mirror wiring path which requires dismantling of mirror mechanics & return to door bottom, sounds easy, but in reality pita :)

Right then, thought I'd drag this up... I did it and am really pleased. I learnt loads about the insides of my car, a really valuable experience. AND I had nothing left over afterwards! Had to take off the door and remove all the bolts on the door frame, but only needed it to move up by a few inches - window stayed where it was. It was rather fiddly getting the wires from the car, through the rubber grommet and up through the mirror housing, but got there in the end.
Thanks for the advice and info.