gas strut upgrades?

Reaction score
Has anybody replaced their gas-struts for their boot lid?

Mine won't "pop" since I got the S-Line spoiler on the back....

I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward, but just looking for any advice, if it's out there (and part numbers??)...

Chris

ah - may have answered my own question:

from VAGCAT....

22 4B5827552G

gas-filled strut
left/right / (22) 8E5827552A

gas-filled strut
left/right / sedan: S4 (22) 8E5827552B

gas-filled strut / for vehicles with spoiler
left/right / sedan

so I guess I just need 2x 8E5827552B

How far is it supposed to "pop"?

Is it supposed to open right up, or just pop open an inch or so??

They just pop off the catch, its not an auto-opening feature.

Oh well, that means mine works properly then.

****** me, something on the car working properly!

I thought it was supposed to pop right open?

I've seen others (on the A5, etc) open properly, all the way... mine used to pop up to about 20-30degs (couple of inches), but now just clicks and then you can open it... if it wasn't for the click you wouldn't know anything had happened.

The A5's are a lot newer than ours though and probably have automatic boot opening. Certainly the Avants only ever pop off the latch, the saloons with the lighter bootlid may be different I don't know.

actually technically it's an RS5.... parks next to my bike spot in the car park at work every day.... sob sob....

oh well.... thanks for entertaining my musings guys!

My saloon has only ever made the noise of the solenoid too, doesn't move an inch. I'd love top have it completely opening though. There was some discussion over in tyresmoke a while back as someone seemed to think there was an auto opening feature on the B7's... which would make it a possibility at least on a B6. Though I've never heard of B7 boots opening.