Timing out?

Scouse

LIVERPOOL
Reaction score
Got this fault: [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Fault Found:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] P1340 - 35-00 - -

Engine lights on and there's a definite loss of power, and a louder exhaust note.

I've had a new camshaft position sensor fitted, but nothing changed the faults still there. And a new engine speed sensor was fitted last year.

So i'm thinking the timing is just off a tooth?

Can you check if the timings out on vag com? If not, how hard is it to check/fix the timing if it's off a tooth does the front have to come off?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A4 1.8T
[/FONT]

If it starts then it means both sensors are ok and working just the signal from the both are out.

You can either have a tooth out on the cambelt, tooth out on the cam to cam timing or a worn/slack cam chaning and/or tensioner. Have you had a new cambelt recently. iirc for the cam sensor its just two 10mm bolts so this wouldnt have altered actual timing.

I own a Ibiza with a 1.8t which after a rebuild i was gettin this code.
To fix it do this:

Check timing on the belt.

Set to TDC on the cam sprocket, theres a notch out on cam cover which you line up with the notch on the cam sprocket.

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

Now look down at the crank pulley and check the notch on on there against the metal cover. Have a quick check on the TDC mark, if you have one, on the flywheel on the inspection hole on the gearbox, will be a rubber plug on the top.
DSCF0640.jpg

Note how my timing was out when cam was set to TDC as above...

DSCF1357.jpg

Any questions let me know or if you need a hand setting timing on cam to cam.

Last edited:
Cheers Phil for the very informative post, nice guide. Which I'm sure will help others out if they get this fault to, as it helped me.

It was the timing out on the belt, so if anyone gets that fault check your timing before replacing sensors :yes: