Volks AutosBadger5
    Neutral

Status

DIS Error messages, but no faults found!!

As per title, the DIS on my 2003 S4 has started showing intermittent error messages, but the shown fault in fact is not at fault, if you know what I mean.

First fault, bulb failure to number plate light, checked and found to be ok.
    Second fault, bulb failure to rear center brake light, checked and found to be ok.
    New fault today, brake failure!!, again checked and found to be ok.

Turning the ignition off and then on again to run self diagnostics seem to clear the alledged fault and all appears to be good again, only for the fault to reappear a few days later.

Any one experienced this situation before?, any thoughts or ideas on the possible cause and solution to this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi mate - I have the same (great) car - I had a DIS error for the front side light - checked and was ok - I put this down to a bad connection, as when I wiggled the bulb it worked again (after I had bought a new set)...

Brake failure - sounds serious!! Maybe a VAG scan would help??
    B6 S4 4.2 V8 SILVER SALOON - BEIGE ALCANTARA - BOSE SYMPHONY - DRILLED/GROOVED FRONT DISCS

FOR SALE: £6750ono

Previous Cars
    .:R32 MKIV 3DR Pearl Black (Awesome car), Lexus RX300, Lexus LS400, Mitsubishi Shogun Sport V6, Audi TT Roadster 225, Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8, Mazda RX8 231, Peugeot 307 CC 180, Subaru Impreza WRX 2.5, BMW520i, Lexus IS200,Golf GTi MKV, Audi A4 1.9TDi 130

1st Gear

Status
    Is it only when you first turn the ignition on and the car is cold? Could be your battery on the way out? Check the voltage before you start the car from cold, 12.2v or less normally means battery is dying. New bat is about 12.6v. Mine did the brake warning light from cold but not the bulb warnings...

3rd Gear

Status
    Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
    Brake warning on start-up is symptomatic of a low voltage spike on ignition. Though checking the brakes would be good practise.
    B8 S4 Avant in Misano Red with some lovely toys!
    Prev: B6 A4 Saloon 1.9 TDI quattro Sport - great car.

1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

Status
    possible that your brake lights are not working, common fault brake light switch worth checking as when mine went my DIS went mental

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
    Is it only when you first turn the ignition on and the car is cold? Could be your battery on the way out? Check the voltage before you start the car from cold, 12.2v or less normally means battery is dying. New bat is about 12.6v. Mine did the brake warning light from cold but not the bulb warnings...
    Yes, faults only ever shown after first startup in morning, will check battery voltage tomorrow.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrichw View Post
    Hi mate - I have the same (great) car - I had a DIS error for the front side light - checked and was ok - I put this down to a bad connection, as when I wiggled the bulb it worked again (after I had bought a new set)...

Brake failure - sounds serious!! Maybe a VAG scan would help??
    Had the front side light error about 5 weeks ago, in this case the bulb had actually failed and the DIS showed fault every time I turned ignition on, not returned since changing the bulb.
    I know there is no problems with the brakes as I serviced them last week whilst fitting spacers, will carry out vag scan and report back if anything is found.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Brake warning on start-up is symptomatic of a low voltage spike on ignition. Though checking the brakes would be good practise.
    Would this translate into the battery dying?
    Brakes all checked/ serviced last week, so I know the DIS error is spurious.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball1969 View Post
    possible that your brake lights are not working, common fault brake light switch worth checking as when mine went my DIS went mental
    All DIS error messages checked and found to be incorrect, brake lights working fine so I assume the switch must be ok.

Neutral

Status
    From the responses it would seem to be the battery that is at fault, I shall carry out a Vag scan and check the battery voltage tomorrow.
    May or may not be related but have noticed, not quite a misfire but more like a weak spark type symptom on start up from cold, car has been into Audi for coil pack recall two weeks ago.