Need Jim to Fix it!

mitch2575

Reaction score
My Mechanic states I need replace my Secondary Air pump @ £400 bob or Kombi valve @ £105 bob (parts only) changing! As keep getting code p4011 engine management light keep coming on. States unsure which one is faulty.... Is anyone got any sugguestions.... ideas?

That code is normally the secondary air pump ,
but it can also be caused by a split feed pipe
also check the vac hoses as well before splashing out .

Last edited:
Reactions: mitch2575
Had that all done! had all the other solonoid's replaced around it as had water enter the pump... got it fixed now this is the only 2 things left to stop the EML coming up....

I'm not sure about this but Ive seen that this can be all ripped out and binned. Im looking into it myself as i hate the noise it makes at start up. Not sure about the codes if its all removed and blanked off. But thats what im trying to find out myself.
Also heard that water in the pump is down to the valve not shutting properly and the hot air from the exhaust causing condensation to collect in the pump.
Im pretty sure all its function is, is to bring the cat up to temp by adding O2 to the exhaust fooling the engine to run rich and therefore heating the cat. Maybe Paul20v can confirm this and maybe about codes after its been pulled out?

Hi
i have pulled this out of 2 cars so far one T reg V5 bora with no EML light after and a 51 plate V5 passat with No EML
Problem is as cars get newer they get more complicated electronically and they know when things are not doing exactly as there meant hence so many EML illuminations
Jama665 your spot on It pumps air into the catayltic
converter to get it hot quicker. Purely emission related which is why the light comes on so quick .

Yea I know what you mean about the complicated electronics, I think you must need a degree in electronics to work in a garage now not mechanics. :wacko:
I hate the sound it makes thats assuming its ment to make it sound like a bag of nuts for a few seconds, Maybe mines ******** all the reason to bin it.

They normally sound a bit like a vaccum cleaner
i think thats the best way to describe it.