1.8t avj breather

Jama665

Reaction score
Well looked all over the net and cant really seem to get an answer im looking for.

The breather system is pulling far to much oil in to the inlet and through the turbo which im not really wanting.

I'm sure its the crankcase breather valve. but cant find two valves the same on the net. Im thinking the valve at the front above the turbo is the pressure reg. the crankcase valve is in the area just above the oil filter. Is there any other valves part of the system. but not really sure as nothing on the net seems to be very decisive.

I can smell petrol if i pull off the oil filler. so somethings not 100%.

Any pointers in the right direction would be helpfull

cheers

well The previous owner had it serviced every 5k roughly, about 3k ago. But that was Just the basics. I had to unclog the top metal breather hose and replace the t piece which was split and the elbow at the pressure reg Which was leaking oil from it. No idea when the valves have been replaced if at all. Also thinking about removing the secondary air pump as i have read thats also that that can cause a petrol smell in the engine. Cant seem to find a diagram of the breather system for this avj engine.

Could be using the wrong grade of oil. It may be worth doing an oil change with some recommended oil, and at least it'll eliminate that.

Well i was told it was fully synthetic used. but who knows? Also its looking a little gruddy in the rocker cover so will investigate that to. as the baffle may be full of grud to. but guessing its the breather system as i get a puff of blue smoke after its been idling for a while and no other time. any ideas about the secodary air pump.

the cars got 140k on the clock with service history up to 100k. but after i only have the owners word. but i think he was an owner that just replaced stuff when it broke. instead of doing regular maint other than getting it serviced.

think i may just continue pulling bits off a cleaning them. is there somewhere to get parts like this other than audi?

You can try GSF or Euro Car Parts, but other than that I'd stick with Audi. The few things that have gone on mine I've been lucky that they've been relatively inexpensive even from an Audi agent.

N75 valve at £45 and a brake switch at just over £10. The only thing I got from GSF was a MAF sensor...

I always thought blue smoke indicated oil passing the piston rings? I might be wrong though.

I believe you can remove the secondary air pump, but I haven't done it on mine, so I can't really offer any advice on that I'm afraid.

You say you do a lot of motorway miles?

The breather valves pack in on these ,
they have a small spring in them that packs in and gives really high suction on the filler cap when idling amongst other symptoms
its under the inlet on the n/s of the car and is no money from audi .

well i have pos pessure on the filler cap. maybe its just the rocker cover baffle.