Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Joey'd my headlights from chrome to black

I did this before on my mk4 golf and liked the look so thought I'd have a go on the audi. Its time consuming but I prefer the look, similar to the cabriolet lights.
    I took the lights off, split the headlights and painted the inside bit of chrome that surround the glass/ plastic. I left the rest but removed the indicator lense as I didn't particularily like it. the paint has no effect on output of the lights either.

before

after

just thought you all might like to see.
    Silver A4 wagon on porsche splits

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    that looks good mate

2nd Gear

Status
    i Likey

Loving the anonymity

Status
    When my wife crashed my car I had to get two new headlights. I decided to keep the old ones so I could have a practice run at taking them apart as I've heard it's not the easiest. Have moved house since and never had chance to do it yet, but they're in my loft waiting. And these pics make me think I need to do it quicker

Your car looks ace mate! Really like the look of it. Not seen it properly with the wheels before. Suits it really well.

1st Gear

Status
    cheers for the comments, appreciate them.
    crazy88- have a go but just to be warned, Taking them apart is not easy, need a heat gun and a flat head screwdriver, took about an hour & 1/2 each to split. my main worry was stabbing myself with the screwdriver!
    the glue is tough old stuff and its on both side of the lense, however the black part bends right back and back into place with a little heat.

2nd Gear

Status
    wow, do mine now!

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    They look great! I've been making excuses not to do mine for ages but really want to!

There's a guide on A4mods.com for anyone tempted!

:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Like them and think they will suit my car but dont want to try do it myself, anyone fancy giving it a go for me?

Audi fanatic

Status
    Ive been wanting todo mine but my headlights are only 12months old and im not willing to bugger them up
    good look thou really like it .

VAG Addict

Status
    Looks good matey, did this on my rado and love the moody look it achieves! Inspires me to do the B7!
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

1st Gear

Status
    that guide is excellent, I found after doing the first one! I'd do a write up but all you need is there.

its not really difficult just a pain to do, and i'm not wishing to repeat it, sorry.

1st Gear

Status
    Just dont put them in the oven!

I did on my first one and turned the corner of the clear plastic lens a bit white where it got too hot.

After that I did it with the mrs's hairdryer which was plenty hot enough to burn my fingers aswell as soften the plastic and glue enough to get them apart.

Aswell as a screwdriver the weapons of choice should be a 90 degree pick tool and the hooked tool (see below). They are great for hooking round under the lens to loosen the glue below.

Silverline 427723 Pick and Hook 4pce Set - Silverline Tools available at Toolbox

Ideal stuff to bond them back together again afterwards is this stuff:

Toolstation > Adhesives & Sealants > Grab Adhesive > Stixall M.S Polymer 290ml

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Have to say, don't like that. Surprised to be the only one!

Official Fan Club member No 001!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Avant4me View Post
    Have to say, don't like that. Surprised to be the only one!
    might look better with chrome rings
    A4 1.8t 190 sport http://www.rpselectrical.ie

3rd Gear

Status
    Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
    Did this to mine, put them in the oven - no white marks as garfie said, it was on about 50 degrees. What I did do though was bugger up the adjusting mechanism. MOT last Saturday - headlight aim fail! Currently have a lovely clear set of standard ones on, but am thinking about re-doing it again, but more carefully this time!

B8 S4 Avant in Misano Red with some lovely toys!
    Prev: B6 A4 Saloon 1.9 TDI quattro Sport - great car.

Neutral

Status
    Love the look of the blacked lights. Are your plates pressed ally? Been toying with the idea of buying some for mine.... Just need to find a decent manufacturer...

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Joey Mod is the way to go! Done this to my Kingfisher (for those who dont know me) and Id do it again.....if I had time....and had another B6!
    After the first set I got faster at it but just so boring having to heat the glue up and prise them apart, especially if you lack patients.
    For anyone that wants to do them...DO it!!! You'll be proud of yourself afterwards. Follow the Link James threw up and you cant go wrong. Looks loads better...

1st Gear

Status
    thinking about doing that to mine, i like that. Also did do your own grill to? What paint did you use? mines going that horrid grey look now.

5th Gear

Status
    get rid of them tango bulbs and put some crome ones in that flash orange..just a little touch but makes a bigger impact

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6gordy View Post
    get rid of them tango bulbs and put some crome ones in that flash orange..just a little touch but makes a bigger impact
    Sounds gud where do you get them from may i ask?
    A4 TDI SPORT with full leather and thats it as standard.Fitted by me.Remap,S-LINE BADGES.S4 Wing mirrors.DIS,Seat Cupra splitter.Rear parking sensors.5k hids+LED side lights+DRL lights+chrome indicator bulbs,amber fog lights.LED Xenon number plate bulbs,upper/lower front grills+boot strip in matt black.Ipod dock.19" BMW X5 SPORT CONCAVE ALLOYS,9 J FRONT 10 J REAR 20mm hub adapters front ET 28,18mm hub adapters rear ET 27.

TO DO.B5 spring perches.Renault rear diffuser?? S/S exhaust.

5th Gear

Status
    halfords do em

wax on, wax off

Status
    looks fantastic! not got the balls to try it myself though.
    A4 B6 1.9 tdi 130. Slowly modding but don't tell the missus.
    Front ambient lighting
    Eibach sportlines.
    Audi TT Alloys.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jama665 View Post
    thinking about doing that to mine, i like that. Also did do your own grill to? What paint did you use? mines going that horrid grey look now.
    I used BBQ spraypaint, sounds odd, but its really tough for home spray paint, its not matt just satin. you can pick it up in any b&q type store.
    I am planning on picking up some bulbs at some point.