Volks AutosBadger5
    BMW aye right dead on..

Status

wheres my water ?

hi guys and gals. this has been covered before but im looking for some fresh ideas. my car is using water [1.9 130 bhp pd a4 ] and its driving me nuts. im a mechanic and for the life of me i cant work out were the water is going. it uses a pint every few days. you name it iv tried it, presure test, sniff test, looked everywere, no sludge, no oil in water, no water in oil, no over heating, no signs of head gasket being blown. so if you have any ideas let me know cause its a head melter. thanks...
    Last edited by BASS 666; 4th May 2011 at 22:25.
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    maybe the cars just thirsty and fancy a pint?

you tried leaving a large bit of paper under the engine bay when you park it to see if any drips and marks it?

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    no mate but im pretty sure there are no leaks.
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

3rd Gear

Status
    Have you checked the coolant flange at the back of the cylinder head, the rubber seals perish causing a small leak.. Maybe worth a look
    A4 1.8T 190 S-Line, Stage 2 Shark Performance Map 230 BHP, Pipercross Panel Filter, Forge 007 DV, Blue Flame Performance Exhaust + High Flow Sports Cat, 8k HID Lights, 8k HID Fog Lights, LED Sidelights, LED Number Plate, Front + Rear Ambient Lighting, LED Interior Bulbs, Grooved Dimpled Disks, Ultimax Pads, RNS-E DVD, Tinted Windows, S4 Grill, Votex Rear Skirt, BOSE, Leather, Engine Covers, S4 Mirrors, RS4 Pedals, Gloss Black Wrapped Grills, 19" BBS LM's Summer, 19" RS6's Winter, Coilovers

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Have you checked the coolant flange at the back of the cylinder head, the rubber seals perish causing a small leak.. Maybe worth a look
    looked everywhere mate but gonna have another look tomorrow so i will check it thanks.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    as above paper under car leave it running for a while tho

mine was leaking from rear but mors was burning away b4 it hit the floor

1st Gear

Status
    Have you checked the seal around the waterpump?

4th Gear

Status
    We had a hairline crack at the back of the res which you could only see by taking it off the mount

1st Gear

Status
    mine lost its water about a week or so ago, i was giving it a bit at the time i admit,
    i have draind it, flushed it, and theres no leaks at all. whater pump replaced about 2k ago, everything ok
    but it did ALL go
    i also get a hot smell now too, i have talked about this in another link, i too am compleetly bafeld by it

1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

Status
    I reckon its a head gasket issue, poss a leak which may be blowing straight out of the exhaust ports which could be why u cant see anything.
    This has happened to me before on another car.

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    update.. took the splashgaurd off today put cardboard under the car for an hour while it was running, not a thing. put a presure tester on it and pumped it up to 1.5 bar and looked for about half an hour with the engine cover off and never found a thing but the presure dropped very slowly so the water is going somewhere. im thinking like snowball said. it can only be going out the exhaust ports ??????????????????

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
    Have you checked the seal around the waterpump?
    new pump about 2k ago.

1st Gear

Status
    wouldn't that cause a little white smoke? have you compression tested it? Also a slow leak could be evaporating before it hits the floor. Could be inside the car, heater matrix?

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jama665 View Post
    wouldn't that cause a little white smoke? have you compression tested it? Also a slow leak could be evaporating before it hits the floor. Could be inside the car, heater matrix?
    indide the car is bone dry so its not the matrix. as for white smoke there is none. it has me and 3 other mechanics baffled and its driving me nuts.

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like a tough one. Does it hold pressure when hot? could be the res cap, maybe evaporating through there.

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    sounds like a tough one. Does it hold pressure when hot? could be the res cap, maybe evaporating through there.
    drops presure when hot or cold. gonna try a mates res cap tomorrow but i dont think its the problem.

1st Gear

Status
    its worth ago. If its the head it will get worse as you'l know. i have seen a head cracked into the exhaust port before and leaking that way.

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    its worth ago. If its the head it will get worse as you'l know. i have seen a head cracked into the exhaust port before and leaking that way.
    its just so bloody fraustrating if i knew for sure it was the head gasket i would fix it and that would be it. i suppose im lucky in that i can do it myself. ah well watch this space ??????

1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

Status
    If I was u a mechanic I would just do the head gasket and be done with it as you know it is a relatively simple job to do if you know what to do.

Have you had the rad out and given it the full inspection