A4 1.8T BHP differences

LeeT

Reaction score
How can i tell whether my A4 1.8T is a 163bhp or a 190bhp? Is there any markings or physical differences?
Thanks ..Lee

Off the top of my head a red "T" and the correct PS figure on the vehicles data sticker.

Like James said Data Sticker.

There are 3 types of 1.8T, originally there was a 150 bhp and a 163 bhp, Audi then changed the 150 bhp's to 163 and some of the 163's to the 190 Red T.

The main way is for the 190's is dual side mounted intercoolers, and the RED T on the rear and on the engine cover, it will also say on the V5 what bhp your 1.8T is. The 190's also have 312mm brakes but think other models might also have these.

the red T realy means nothing
iv had 3 with red T and they were all 163hp
same as the 2.0 T they mox red and silver
but as above check sticker or v5

Yeh well you can never legislate for the aftermarket red T's being added!

Reactions: Pabs
Only way to tell is to get the engine code which is stamped into the top of the block near to the timing belts.

right, finally taken a look. On the spec sticker it says 110kw, what does this equate to in bhp?
What differences are there between the different bhp models to give them the extra bhp? Think i'll get a remap for now and then keep an eye out for some go faster parts. Am i right in thinking a ko4 will bolt on without too much trauma?
thanks ..lee

Have you had a good test drive of the car? . A remap may give you 20-30 bhp

110KW is 147Bhp. There were subtle changes to the engines if the A4s followed the same development path as the rest of the VAG range. I would strongly suspect that these used the standard K03 turbo rather than the modified version fitted to the AUQ engine which went into the TT and Leon Cupra. Although both turbos same size, they use different shafts and fins to generate more flow on the K03s (not its official name but it is more commonly called this).
If this engine is a non drive by wire similar to that fitted to the Golf 1.8T then it will not have VVT and so will be limited to about 196bhp on a remap. The later engines with drive by wire, VVT and K03s are good for 215 from a standard remap.

Hope this helps.

MAtt

Have you had a good test drive of the car? . A remap may give you 20-30 bhp
i have yes, its mine :) Well its the mrs' but i get to drive it. I just want to get some more power out of it to make it a bit more fun.

110KW is 147Bhp. There were subtle changes to the engines if the A4s followed the same development path as the rest of the VAG range. I would strongly suspect that these used the standard K03 turbo rather than the modified version fitted to the AUQ engine which went into the TT and Leon Cupra. Although both turbos same size, they use different shafts and fins to generate more flow on the K03s (not its official name but it is more commonly called this).
If this engine is a non drive by wire similar to that fitted to the Golf 1.8T then it will not have VVT and so will be limited to about 196bhp on a remap. The later engines with drive by wire, VVT and K03s are good for 215 from a standard remap.

Hope this helps.

MAtt
Thanks Matt, that info is very useful, thats nearly 50 bhp from a remap alone or will it need the supporting decat, exhaust air filter etc? Very interested in finding out more about tuning these cars. ill take a look in the morning to see if its FBW throttle

Last edited:
No need to change the standard air filter as the standard air filter and air box are good for all supporting mods

No need to change the standard air filter as the standard air filter and air box are good for all supporting mods
thanks for that, thought as much. When i bought my a6 4.2 someone had put a stupid induction kit on it. First thing i did was buy a standard airbox

audia4.jpg

Last edited:
one of my 4.2 aswell, Also used to have a noggy blue b6 s4 manual too which i am now considering buying another
009.jpg

P4160084.jpg

And another of the a4, sorry about the pics they are iphone. Been busy colour coding all the ugly grey trim this weekend and fitting the mercedes turbine alloys. Not sure whether they suit the shape or not yet so will probably
change them shortly
a42.jpg

a41.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is LY5K. Brilliant Blue.

It's actually not a bad colour, but beggars can't be choosers I'm afraid.........

Biased place to look but I've missed out on a 2.0tfsi b7 avant quattro and a b6 1.8t quattro has come up close to me.

How different performance wise are they? 163bhp seems a bit low? And ownership costs in comparison?

Ta

I have a 1.8TS and i love it :) There is actually quit a bit of a differences :p The TS has forged internals (rods, pistons), intercoler on both sides, a slightly bigger exhaust housing (allowing for more exhaust flow at higher rpms and capable of making more hp, up to 230hp and 368Nm (240Nm original) with BSR chip and with little modification up to 300), better turbo impeller and compressor wheel, bigger injectors and a tune making those extra 27hp. The rest of the drive train is different too, higher final drive 4.38:1 vs 37:1), closer and higher ratio gear box, lighter flywheel and a griper clutch. Suspension wise it have bigger anti roll bars (32mm front, 18mm back), lower and stiffer springs and matching shocks, bigger brakes, 321mm front and 256 in the back. Suspension and drive train is basically from an B5 S4. In the interior it was standard with sport seats and the Bose system.

The engine is, as said above, capable of making around 300 with easy mods. I have heard of people putting an s3 (not sure witch generation) map, injectors and downpipe/cat on and chip tune it as an s3... With a couple extra easy mods and a real tune it can probably near 350 on the tire. A race cat (or test pipe), better charge pipes and elbows, different re-circulation valve and maybe some meth would go a long way (probably head studs/bolts and gasket to). Tho clutch, flywheel and brake upgrades would be recommend at that level. And of course an exhaust is recommended from the beginning :p I have a Milltech cat back that has an amazing daily sound level:) And as some one else said, intake do not make more hps but it will make turbo sounds louder ;)

Attachments

• mindre.jpeg
    mindre.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited: