Well Chuffed with myself. What royal wedding?

S3 GAZ

Reaction score
Well i spent all day on friday buried in my engine bay instead of watching the royal wedding. It was worth it.

Plan was Timing belt and service on my 04 1.9 tdi Quattro sport 130bhp AVF engine.

I bought the parts form Euro Car Parts using there 30% discount code. I got Contitech Timing Belt Kit, Water Pump, Filter (Oil, Air, Fuel,) and 5lts of carlube fully synthetic PD oil. for £143 delivered.

I went to my mates who has his own Garage and as he had a pretty quiet day. Luckily he had a PD timing tool kit which was neccessary for the job.
most of the time was spent trying to get enough room to get the pully off the V belt. as usual you always get beat by 5mm. we undid the bumper on the drivers side and it gave us enough room to get the tools in to get the v belt pully of and strip down the timing belt cover. we turned the crank to get the cam timing mark in the right postion and inserted the cam locking pin. we then put the crank locking tool in situ. released the tension and lslackend the 3 bolts on the cam pulley an removed the belt. Its at this point u wonder if this was a good idea lol. out came the water pump and in with the new and a new seal. the idler was replaced and the new tesioner attached.

The new belt was a little tricky to get on as even with the tension off theres not much room. it was easiest to get the last teath over the water pump pulley. The tension was put on and all bolted up using the torque wrench to specific settings.

Then 2 full rotations by hand and a good visual inspection of the belt and teeth. No damage noted so on with the covers, V belt pully and a then the ignition. AHH the releif to hear the car jump into life and tick over nicely.

Took the car out for a run and disaster. there was no power got onto the dual carriage and the engine management light came on :sadlike:. The car seemed fine untill i attempted to accelerate it seemed to me like the turbo was not spooling up. Then i heard the whistle!. i pulled over popped the bonnet and found that one of the vacum pipes had came loose. Phew!!!! panick over. back on my way and car pulled like a train as good as new the egine management light also went out. went back to the garage to crack on with thes service.

Oil was drained whilst i changed the filters. New oil in and job done :happy:

Theres such a great sense of satisfaction in doing something yourself. Luckily i had my mate there to lend a hand and advice but did i 99% of it myself and ive got the bruises to prove it. Must have saved near on £500 by DIYing it. Not planning on selling the car at all as this will become my second car next year and my work bus, so wasnt fussed about keeping the dealer history ongoing.

great job done mate, know what you mean about job satisfaction, i never would of attempted that meself like lol, i,d of knackered something and be needing skin grafts on me knuckles by now!
(just for info or future ref for anybody ), i got mine done at main dealers in teesside, cam belt and water pump done with a 2 year unlimited milage guarantee for £399 all in. (i did the oil and filters meself) so yep you sure saved a good few £s.

how long did it take you btw?

Lol i went straight home had a shower and cracked open a bottle of makers mark.

It took about 6 hours including lunch and stopping to scratch my head. Audi don't make it easy to get things like the front end off.

yeah i,d heard the front bumper has to come off for access to do it , even tho mate ,6 hrs impressive mate, id be over the moon,
audi said 3-4 hrs labour but they had the car from 8 till 2, washed and hoovered out like, thats it done now for 5 yrs or so like as i wont rack the milage up in that time. you,ll be getting pm requests to help do others now lol.

yeah i,d heard the front bumper has to come off for access to do it , even tho mate ,6 hrs impressive mate, id be over the moon,
audi said 3-4 hrs labour but they had the car from 8 till 2, washed and hoovered out like, thats it done now for 5 yrs or so like as i wont rack the milage up in that time. you,ll be getting pm requests to help do others now lol.

Yeh. Audi wanted £399 to do it which is pretty resonable for a main dealer. i was tempted but its money in the bank.

Likewise here thats it for 5 years and i wont do 80,000 miles in that time either so its good to know its done. I used ELSAWINs instructions to do it and they are pretty detailed but did differ slightly as they were talking about removing the viscous fan which i dont have its electric in mines i think.

most of the time was spent getting access to the belt by removing the front end. the rest was pretty straighforward if you have the right tools. so lucky to have a mate with a garage.