injectors on a 01 a4 1.9 tdi

brownie 25

Reaction score
hi all,ime having problems with a car that i bought,got a scan done today and it showed that one of the injectors was foooked and the rest are on there last legs. so today took off the rocker cover to have a look,on the side of the rocker arms that sits on top of the injector there is a bolt that can be adjusted up and down,this bolt on no 1 and no 2 cylinder is shattered so its not sitting on the injector right, so just wondering what this adjustable bolt is for and can the bolts be replaced on there owen

Last edited:
They are available from dealer and they are stretch bolts/1 time use only ! Many back street garages do replace injectors and reuse them bolts, thus allowing the injectors to move in their bore wich will damage the head and let diesel into the oil...

well adamss this is not actually a bolt it is a lug for better term,it has a allen head on it with an nut it actually pushes the injector plunger down,i got a set of second hand ones just to see if thats the problem before i buy new injectors,any idea how much these lugs need to be tightened in

They are basically old skool adjustable tappets i'm sure they need setting up correctly with a feeler gauge, have you got Elsawin?

ok replaced the four adjustable screw things and got another scan and there was still a variation between injectors but not as bad,no1 was worst so replaced that today and still running rough,what i did notice is with the rocker arms off you can actually take the spring off and pull the plunger out,the retainer piece that holds the plunger in was damaged on all the injector but still drives perfect above 1200-1500 rpm bar the slight lack of power.any more ideas, do i change all injectors,all so noticed that the last letters on each injector are different,cant remember exactly but one is ba one is bd-be-bf does that make sense .
ps heres a pic of the adjustable screw ime talking about scroll down http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=191919&page=2

Last edited:
Ive never heard of this happen to the pd's. you must be unlucky with this one.Can you tell us the fault codes you are getting, when you say variation, do you mean you are looking at live data readings of the injectors?, The nut you are refering to is very important to the correct function and timing of the fuel injector and must be set up correctly,you carn't guess this setting , it won't run right. Have you loosend the injector retaining stretch bolts?

i dont know what fault codes it showed,i didn't do the scan just watched, but yes i think it was a live data reading and there was a different reading between each injector but no1 was out by the most .as for the retaining bolt yea i had to undo it to change the injector and by the looks of it some one was at all of them.

if the fly wheel was at fault would it cause loss of power,would it be juddering when driving