Battery drain avj 1.8t

Alan H

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......
Reaction score
Hi all, got a bit of a confusing one here.

Car was fine yesterday. Running well etc. Went to start it this morning and the battery was flat. AA came out, battery is good, had gone down to 5 volts. But the car was drawing 0.5 amps when switched off. Anyone got any ideas?

Any common problems that can cause this.

I've pulled all the fuses in the side of the dashboard and they aren't drawing any current.

I'm afraid that's about the limits of my knowledge with auto electrics. I'm hoping that somewhere is open tomorrow!!

Are you sure its not the battery?0.5 amps doesnt seem a lot .My Tdi battery is rated 620 amps so that rate would take along time.Does the battery recharge OK?How much does the alarm use.Our local Halfords Autocentre is open cos our Micra is booked in

The AA man gave the battery a green light. I know 0.5 amps doesn't seem much, but it's obviously something (whatever that may be) I wouldn't expect much more than 1/10th of that drawn when the car is static and not running? Do you think that seems a bit low?

I'm no auto electrician, so I'm only guessing really.

audis dont shut down stright away
you should check the batt for drain when its been stood for at least 4 hours

leave bonnet open and car unlocked then check when its all shut down

0.5 wont flatten the batt over night

The AA man gave the battery a green light. I know 0.5 amps doesn't seem much, but it's obviously something (whatever that may be) I wouldn't expect much more than 1/10th of that drawn when the car is static and not running? Do you think that seems a bit low?

I'm no auto electrician, so I'm only guessing really.
I am just guessing too but how did he know the battery was OK? 5 volts seems low and I wonder if it has gone.How old is it?I always use a hydrometer to check each cell is the same cos usually one collapses but you still get good charge in the others.I dont know how much current the alarm uses but I have heard some one blame this after leaving the car for a week

audis dont shut down stright away
you should check the batt for drain when its been stood for at least 4 hours

leave bonnet open and car unlocked then check when its all shut down

0.5 wont flatten the batt over night

I'm only going on what the AA man said. But I don't want to fork out for a new battery and that get killed too.

I am just guessing too but how did he know the battery was OK? 5 volts seems low and I wonder if it has gone.How old is it?I always use a hydrometer to check each cell is the same cos usually one collapses but you still get good charge in the others.I dont know how much current the alarm uses but I have heard some one blame this after leaving the car for a week

The patrols have these tester things. He just said it was charging ok. I am dubious because it's only a 55Ah battery....

Well, I'm perplexed now. Been out to the car this morning and it's started. Very, very confusing....

Could I have left something on? I don't know....

I'll be a bit wary of the car for a few days now...

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but not all AA folks are the same...

He said it was charging ok, but that isn't the problem presumably, it's the fact it doesn't hold its charge that's the problem.

If the battery is getting on, then just replace it. They're cheap enough, about the same as a tank of fuel? (not that that is cheap, but just to make the point!)

I'm just seriously sceptical when it comes to garages/experts, mainly because the dealer who looked at my wife's car several times investigating various electrical faults (intermittent wiper operation/poor starting/misfires etc) failed to diagnose a faulty battery, giving it a clean bill of health with the 'tester' 3 times. I purchased a battery charger with testing facility from Halfords, took the battery off the car, charged it as per instructions and then did the test bit and got 5 red lights showing the battery was foobar!

Replaced the battery and all the faults went away... The garage eventually refunded for the alternator, starter motor and various relays...

Well the car has been fine today. I'm starting to suspect I left something on or something like that.

Just can't understand it.

Looks like one of life's little mysteries.

Well, I've had no trouble with the car since. Started on the button for the last 2 days!!