Bike Rack Help Please!

ChristinaR

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've bought a bike today but want to know if there are any racks that will fit my car. I have an A4 cabriolet (2002). Can anyone help???

Thanks
Christina

Hi and :sign_welcome: to the forum, looks like your only options are either a tow bar mounted one but that means having a tow bar fitted (obviously) or a boot lid mounted one, have a look here, Audi A4 Convertible Car Boot Rack, Car Luggage Rack, it may be of some help to you,i have seen these with bars fitted to them and then a normal roof carrier used, great weather for a cab! ( not too sure on the bike though;))

Hi Matt thanks for coming back to me and the welcome. I'm not too keen on having a tow bar fitted (so ugly) but the boot lid option looks quite good. The only thing I'm worried about is it scratching the paintwork , have you used one or know anyone that has, was their paintwork ok?

Not ideal weather for the bike i have to say was very hot, like you said ideal weather for the cab but typically mine has decided not to work (going to put up a thread about that too as I'm clueless on fixing it!!!) - just my luck!

Thanks for your help!

Could always go with a removable tow bar ball and a mounting kit for the bike rack to suit :)

Hi, having had a quick word with a couple of blokes i work with who are keen mountain bikers, your only real option seems to be a removable tow bar as the boot rack can work out very expensive as you will also need a pair of normal roof bars (depending on the design of the boot rack) and also the actual bike carrier bars,as for the boot rack itself they seem to sit on ribber feet on your paintwork and it would worry me that with vibration ect that would eventualy mark the paintwork, i must say if it were me i would go for a removable tow bar but try and find a way of mounting the electrical socket behind the bumper out of sight as although you can remove the bar and ball part you would obviously still see the electrical socket (not a nice look as you say), one last thing obviously with the boot rack you can't have the roof down when fitted.
Hope this is of some help,
Matt

mattyboy - removable tow bars are just that: completely removable and the electric flip completely out of sight: but be warned that removable tow bars will NOT accept generic tow-bar bike racks as some of them actually slot into the hole where the tow bar goes.... and as such, each tow bar manufacturer will usually only allow you to use their specific bike rack, so check the bike racks (price and functionality) as well as the tow bars...

Here's mine.... now you see it.....

now you don't! (taken approx 5 secs later - more like 10 seconds to fit it though).

The S-Line wasn't designed to work with the removable tow bar, so there is a cut-out on the bottom edge of the bumper, but as you can see, almost invisible...

Mine is the Westfalia - it's the same as the Audi OEM one (Audi just rebadge the Westfalia hardware)... it's supposed to be one one of the best on the market, but it will restrict you to the Westfalia bike rack, so make sure you're happy with that before you buy: I'm VERY happy with is as it means all the garden clear-outs, tip runs, big Ikea / Homebase trips, etc all get done with that rather than inside the car...

Here's the guys that did mine at the end of last summer (was around £400 and took a couple of hours): very good website for showing you the pro's and cons and how easilly they work once fitted, if nothing else... I got them to fit a caravan relay that allows an extra 12V feed - which gives me an extra 12V socket in the boot, so I can run a cooler box in there (or just charge my phone).

towbarexpress.co.uk

Last edited:
hi guys, thanks so much for all your help, this is brilliant info and much more productive than my googling. I know what im looking for now, removable tow bar it is as i definately dont want any scratches or a permananent ugly tow bar in sight every day. I know where to come with all my questions in future!!! thanks again, Christina

I doubt this guy is still around the forums.

I have a Saris Bones that I used with a MX5 as it works really well on flat boot type cars (as well as clearing any spoilers), it would work with my B6 Avant if it weren't for the fact that the B6 doesnt have any vertical surface on the bumper for the rack to load onto.

you can get adaptors to put any bike rack on a ball ;)

Swan_neck_to_flange.jpg