BRAKE FLUID LEAK

hartey

Reaction score
Hi, had my front pads changed today at a garage, and whilst it was up on the ramp, old pads removed and new ones being put on, I noticed a leak forming on the floor! asked them what it was, and they said looked like gearbox oil, as it was dripping from the seal.

wheels on started ok no lights or anything, so gingerely headed the 1/2 mile home.

When opened the bonnet i noticed that there was fluid over the brake fluid container, is this normal, and should the garage have done anything different?

Looks like they didnt remove brake fluid during the process, new pads are thicker so the pistons are pushed further back, brake fluid level rises in the master cylinder......need to get it rmoved quick as it rots paint very quickly !

Its good practice to remove the lid off the master cylinder and crop an old cloth round it to catch the overflow. Once new pads fitted the system bled, take the brake flued to the max mark. Dont suck it out with a straw !

Last edited:
Cobbyfan is right this is sloppy but common Quikfit did it to our Micra recently although not too much spillage but way above the max mark.I usually do our pads but these were rear shoes.i keep an old hydrometer to syphon out some fluid if necessary

I prefer to open the bleed valves when pushing back the pistons. This helps stop problems like above.