radiator fan

deanski

wax on, wax off
Reaction score
Website
www.vivalasfaces.co.uk
should these be running all the time? noticed today that mine runs regardless of air con being on or engine temp. sorry if its a daft question just never noticed before.

No it shouldn't be. Have you tried searching? I think this has been discussed before.

I've read some threads where the thermostat was the culprit, I'm guessing your car thinks the coolant is hotter than it is? It might be worth checking/replacing the coolant temp sensors on the lower radiator outlet and back of the engine before the thermostat though.

I'm not sure if there is an electronic fan control unit on the B6, maybe somebody could chip in with an answer to that.

If you could hook it up to VCDS/VAG-COM then hopefully there will be some error codes to pin point things.

Can you tell us which fans are running, both the right and left hand side ones? the right fan is a viscous fan so it will look like its turning all the time, more when hot, but if your left one is on without the air con on and the engine very hot then there may be a fault, possible ect fault, have you had the diagnostic machine on it?

the car runs no faults on vag com. if you are looking at the car from the front, it is the right one that is turning with the belt flying around. I have replaced the coolant sensor at the back of the engine.

Think that's the viscus fan mate u will no if it is or not as u can stop it by hand as its not spinning fast enough untill the car gets to hot

Think that's the viscus fan mate u will no if it is or not as u can stop it by hand as its not spinning fast enough untill the car gets to hot

Be BL***Y careful if you're trying this at home!

Check the relay thinks its number 219 that controls the fans, its located under the ecu bit of a pain to get to as you have to take the wipers and scuttle panel off. Mine had signs of corrosion from water damage, changed the relay and the coolant temp sensor at the rear of the cylinder head and everything works perfect. The fan control unit is located on top of the fans, hopefully it wont be that as its £141 + vat from Audi for a new one, thats what i thought was wrong with mine at first..

Reactions: mcnicodt
I had mine parked the other day, ignition on but hadnt been driven anywhere and my engine fan ran for a while, I just assumed it was a sensor somewhere telling it to cool things down.