Overheating!

Mrmok

Reaction score
Well this is my first post seeking advice.....

Today my car (A4 1.8T Quattro AVANT) overheated, has never done it before. The temperature guage sped up to 130 and the coolant warning came on, I had just sat in a traffic jam for 15 minutes but was well clear of it when it happened. I limped to a petrol station and took a look. The coolant was all where it should have been so I slowly cracked the cap open and let the pressure out, it seemed like quite a lot of air came out. I let it cool a bit and turned home, as soon as there was any strain on the engine the temperature was creeping up again and then dropping when idling. Stopped and looked at it again and noticed that the radiator was cold. I left the pressure cap cracked open and carefully limped home, the temperature was better with the cap undone but as soon as revs went over 2500 it started to come back up only to go down again when idling. When idling the temp was showing nice and stable in the middle of the guage as it should. Also the heating was on and off, would blow 'hottish' one minute then be stone cold......I'm thinking thermostat but that only got changed about 6 weeks ago so unless the new one is faulty it shouldn't be, only other thing I can think of would be trapped air but again I ran it with the pressure cap off so surely it should have cleared out......I'm stumped so would be very grateful for any advice

Thanks

Matt

My guess would be the waterpump.

Similar symptoms with mine last week. Driving, temp through the roof but idling and just tickling along, cooler.

When was the pump changed do you know?

Not sure when the pump was done :( That was in the back of my mind but I was hoping that if I didn't think about it maybe it would go away! I suppose it's worth getting the cam belt and tensioners changed at the same time as the water pump at least it's all done then! Anyone know of anywhere offering good prices in the kingston/richmond area?

Always change the waterpump at the same time as cambelt, I got them to replace my thermostat to..... £700 inc VAt on a 2.4V6 in a main dealer.

Think I will avoid the main stealer to be honest! I heard somewhere that the after market pumps are better than the Audi ones anyway as they have metal fins rather than the crumbly plastic ones that the OM part has.....or maybe I just dreamt that......

Thanks for the replies

Think I will avoid the main stealer to be honest! I heard somewhere that the after market pumps are better than the Audi ones anyway as they have metal fins rather than the crumbly plastic ones that the OM part has.....or maybe I just dreamt that......

Thats true.

Getting the whole lot done for £470....Happy with that :)

guys, other than the water pump, could it be the expansion tank cap?

ahhhhh mines got similar symptoms. When driving it overheats, when at lights cools down. The temp gauge is never steady. Im having the thermostat and housing replaced first, hope that fixes it.

Hi mate just got this done for £480 from near Wembley
full genuine cambelt kit, KWP water pump with metal impeller, genuine thermostat, 2x auxiliary drive belts, 5L of G12+ antifreeze and computerised setting of the injector pump.

ahhhhh mines got similar symptoms. When driving it overheats, when at lights cools down. The temp gauge is never steady. Im having the thermostat and housing replaced first, hope that fixes it.

This is what mine did and it will be the pump so dont waste your money having it looked at just get the pump and cam belt done in one hit.

^ yep your right, its the pump. In the back of my mind i knew it would be. gutted.

I've just had the thermostat go in my 2.5. I don't know how much it was, <£20 I'd imagine, shame the front has to come off and it needs new timing gear to do it.

:banghead:

I think it may be more than £20......If I recall the entire housing needs replacing as you can't just get the thermostat out,may be wrong

I don't know what it costs as I've not had the bill yet, its just a normal looking vehicle thermostat though. On mine at least.