Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Avant window tints?!

Hey guys, thinking about getting my windows tinted in my avant, just wondered what some of you guys have got so i got an idea how dark to go, my car is black aswell so dont wanna go too dark and look like a van.
    Obviously i want legals on the front but wanna know what mediums, dark tints look like.

any pics would be great

Ta

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine are pretty dark all round, some might even say illegal on the fronts.

Reverse Gear

Status
    yea that looks good!! so is that dark smoke on the rears and medium on fronts?

3rd Gear

Status
    Same dark smoke all round mate,

Is you avant got a kit on it? Theres a black gmbh kitted avant on here with tints all round and it looks awesome

Reverse Gear

Status
    No not yet i am planing on getting the kit though.. ill see if i can try and find it.

5th Gear

Status
    light on the front, meduim on the rest

VAG Addict

Status
    I knows it's all a matter of personal taste but I prefer the medium tint Scott has on his avant I would however leave the front windows alone. There are legal issues with this and AFAIK the standard factory glass is just about on the limit as far as tint goes on the front - maybe someone else can shed some more light on this?
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I must admit i am favouring Scotts lights on the front and med rears.. better not go too dark or i'll look like a van.
    i think the legal limit is 50% if im no mistaken?? so light smoke is fine??

VAG Addict

Status
    Have looked into this a little more and it seems that forward of the B pillars the maximum tint has to allow 70% light transmission into the vehicle. Your standard glass has a very slight tint to it all ready (open your window slightly and look at the sky to see the subtle difference). In some cases you could find that you are already getting close 70% so by adding even a light tint could mean that you exceed this limit. It would be interesting to see how much light is lost with the standard factory glass to be able to conclude this correctly...

I found some interesting links here and here.

Hope that helps?
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdemand View Post
    Have looked into this a little more and it seems that forward of the B pillars the maximum tint has to allow 70% light transmission into the vehicle. Your standard glass has a very slight tint to it all ready (open your window slightly and look at the sky to see the subtle difference). In some cases you could find that you are already getting close 70% so by adding even a light tint could mean that you exceed this limit. It would be interesting to see how much light is lost with the standard factory glass to be able to conclude this correctly...
    You're quite right with all of that, generally any level of tint on the front's will make them illegal. Not really worth the risk in my opinion, PITA when you have to take them off, and also potentially dangerous.

I'm not really a fan of dark tints either personally, I like them to be a consistent colour all the way around.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers for the response guys ill have a play around with some vinyl a buddy gave me and let you know