Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Yellow airbag connector under seat causing airbag light to come on

For the past couple of years I have had occasional problems with the connector under my drivers seat causing the airbag light to come on. I have tried using electrical cleaner and switch lubricant which has solved the problem for a few months at a time, but the problem keeps reoccuring.

Anyone any permanent solutions? Can I just cut the connector out and use an electrical block connector instead. I might need a couple with a piece of wire between as the existing connector is quite long.

2. # ADS
    ADS

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Get new connector shells and replace them. Look closely at the connector there should be a part number on the male/female parts.
    Tricky bit maybe getting the pins out.
    Make sure you disconnect your battery when working on the airbags.

Audi would charge around an hour labour I guess plus parts which I guess would be 10~20 maybe.
    You may want Audi to do the job on this safety item for piece of mind.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

1st Gear

Status
    What we did on my mates B5 was to firmly hold the connector together with a zip tie threaded carefully between the wires on each side and then pulled tight. This solved it on his.

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

3rd Gear

Status
    Had the same prob on my B6 saloon, its a common fault. New harness inc fitting was about 85 at the time from memory but its pretty easy to fit yourself though. If it just the connector itself not staying home, then the tiewrap idea does the trick as suggested above
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

4th Gear

Status
    Cable tie worked fine for me

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Cable tie worked fine for me
    Thanks for the tip. Just noticed that my yellow clip doesn't quite seem to actually 'clip' in anymore and now its quite loose and won't stay down giving me the Air Bag light. Zip tie it is!

Neutral

Status
    Take it to dealer and all they do is hard wire it together as there are known bulletins for this fault on certain models and that tells the technician to hard wire them but also mentions to do the other seat to? But remember to disconnect the battery if you do decide to do it? You will also require getting the fault code cleared afterwards hope this helps