2.5 Needle lift sensor.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I just did a vagcom on the car.
My car starts from cold abit crap, engine note changes at 3k whilst cold and the exhaust is actually dripping with soot at times.

So did a vagcom and it threw up needle lift sensor.

I've seen they can be expensive? But what are they? and where are they?

They're on one of the injectors, I can't remember which one, but it's the one with a wire.

Make sure that wire hasn't got damaged anywhere and isn't shorting out, it's prone to rubbing on the timing belt cover I think.

One of the injectors has a sensor electrically controlled and replacement costs£4/500.We found a Bosch unit on ebay for £233 about £100 cheaper than Audi and fitting cost at our inde £163

Ouch!
Does my issues sound like I have a needle issue?
I went out before (armed with Quattrojames advice) no rubbing from what I can see :(

I can get one from eurocarparts for £268. Hmmm job for the weekend?

Europarts currently have 20% off

Not sure if it covers your part

Code - SERSAVE

It does, that's how it's down to 268 :(
Theres no way a tuning box could cause this issue is there?

it may have been the straw that broke it although these are prone on this engine. you here a lot of stories of how the extra fueling/ power increase affects these cars. hows the clutch holding up?

find the wire coming out of the edge of the o/s rocker cover going to a 2 pin plug mounted on the baulkhead. unplug it and measure the resistance thru it should be near on 100 ohms. if its open circuit, you need a new one!
if not, check it from the ecu plug (you'll need a wiring diagram to find them) should be a similar resistance.

agreed they are expencive bits but it will run in a limp mode without it.

Swarcup - Clutch died a terrible death 5 mins after fitting the tuning box. Which was nice.

Murran - I don't have anything to check resistance sadly.

But..
I ordered the one from eurocarparts. Fitted it this morning along with new bleed off pipes.
Car seems abit better, alot less smokey in the garage too. Starts abit better and hopefully will be better on fuel.
Vagcom has comfirmed the issue has gone and is cleared.

Pockets feeling abit burnt though!

I'll pop a how2 up later on this.