TDI De-Cat

I was advised to by Performance Torque who mapped mine, not really a power gain to be expected, but was told it would maintain power further up the rev range. Have read on here that it returned 2-3 mpg extra

Yeah guy who supplied decats has said he got 4 mpg extra on his Seat, this just reassures what I've heard, I'm doing for other reasons, but all welcome news huh.

Not on a derv no, not heard of 1 thus far.

Decat helps the turbo to spool faster and helps EGT to cool down a bit;lower MPG are just stories.
Decat dont affect to pas MOT,only if the guys see CAT removit.

hello widemonkeys i fitted stainless steel decat from ecotune nice piece of kit .no problem with mot,have you fitted allard race pipe yet.

No codes must be lucky,just rolled pipes up from erg/shudder valve and tucked under head light.

I had mine De-Catted and to be honest, pound for pound it was the best mod I have made (£70). Needless to say, you dont get massive power gains or big increases in fuel economy but the turbo does spool up quicker to give a more responsive drive and I did notice a slight inprovement on fuel ecomomy.

One of the members on the US forum TDIClub did pass comment about the reduced back pressure might have an impact long term on the turbo but no-one else has since backed this up. You will also notice a drop in engine temp by around 10c due to the reduced EGT.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
On the pd 130/150 is not a good ideea to remove the cat as the cat provide the back pressure needed for the turbo to controll surges. The GT1749v is very efficient at low revs and at high revs the ecu has trouble controlling the overspool and the turbo boost "creeps". Surging is very bad for the engine and turbo as it can bend rods and snap the shaft when you step on it at low revs due to the boost spikes ! I would take the cats off if you have a larger turbo but i would leave-it in place on a stock /remapped pd 130 as its not much of a restriction anyway unless fully clogged !

On the pd 130/150 is not a good ideea to remove the cat as the cat provide the back pressure needed for the turbo to controll surges. The GT1749v is very efficient at low revs and at high revs the ecu has trouble controlling the overspool and the turbo boost "creeps". Surging is very bad for the engine and turbo as it can bend rods and snap the shaft when you step on it at low revs due to the boost spikes ! I would take the cats off if you have a larger turbo but i would leave-it in place on a stock /remapped pd 130 as its not much of a restriction anyway unless fully clogged !

Oh dear! I have beeen running without a cat for about 5k now!

Might need to consider get a cat then, or maybe change the turbo to a bigger one!

change the turbo to a bigger one!
BV43 from 2,0TDI 170hp is the perfect choise for a bigger turbo :);i have one on my motor.

@QuattroA4 what power do you have with your mods?

Last edited:
BV43 from 2,0TDI 170hp is the perfect choise for a bigger turbo :);i have one on my motor.

sorry to drag up an old thread, but that surly isn't just a bolt on replacement is it?

I Have been toying with the idea of a decat on my mapped 130 TDI too.. Just no idea if i should do it or not!

I'm running about 170 at the flywheel, would like more but dont want to knacker my clutch. What sort of power you getting from your with the bigger turbo fitted?

@QuattroA4 what power do you have with your mods?

Back pressure is a myth!

It isnt back pressure you require for an engine, any engine works best with minimal back pressure. Its the exhaust velocity due to the scavenging effect that you change when fitting a different exhaust or decat, the turbo wont reqire any back pressure the actuator and soleniod will control the boost and any surges.

I'm running about 170 at the flywheel, would like more but dont want to knacker my clutch. What sort of power you getting from your with the bigger turbo fitted?

I don`t have custom remap,is stock for the moment,because i need to fit a FMIC first(next week),after that i will have my remap.The power will be around 200hp at the flywheel,so like 170hp at the wheels.
More than 200hp at the engine is not safe on long term for the engine and injectors.

Last edited:
That is seriously tempting if it truely is a straight swap. Do all the 170 tdi use the same turbo?

The part number for BV43 is 03G145702H,PD engine codes BRD and BVA 2,0tdi 170hp;CR turbos don`t fit!

And what sort of gains did you get from fitting this turbo straight off? I guess i would need my remap doing again to match?
Also i Support the FMIC is advisable

Back pressure is a myth!

It isnt back pressure you require for an engine, any engine works best with minimal back pressure. Its the exhaust velocity due to the scavenging effect that you change when fitting a different exhaust or decat, the turbo wont reqire any back pressure the actuator and soleniod will control the boost and any surges.
I have replaced at least a dozen pd 130 turbochargers and all had snapped shafts. Exhaust velocity due to the ditched cat increases and the turbo speed's up before the N75 has a chance to regulate the boost or cut the fuel. Pd 130 turbo (GT1749 VA) has a very weak shaft. The later pd 2.o Tdi bv43 or Garrett gt1749VC turbochargers have boost position sensor (the plug on the actuator) so the ECU can accurately regulate the boost + it has bigger hot and cold wheels so the turbo is a bit more laggy at low revs...

And what sort of gains did you get from fitting this turbo straight off? I guess i would need my remap doing again to match?
Also i Support the FMIC is advisable
Just fitting the turbo you don`t gain almost nothing,just a bit more power to the top end;you need a custom remap to match the turbo.
FMIC is a must have.

These turbo's are like rocking horse pooh!

Plenty of CR's on fleabay when I looked but people out there know that there is a demand for the PD version on the BV43 and know how to charge for one!

If I could get me mits on one for around £150 - £200 I'd definately buy one as my garret turbo has seen 143k and despite the rebalance + clean it had at turbo technics I fear it is on borrowed time!

..and then there is the cost of a FMIC + remap circa £500!

I`m sure it is :p;some pics BV43 vs VNT17 and fitted

image hosting service

wordpress image upload

image hosting

I paid for the BV turbo 250£ and i sold mine with 200£,so it cost me only 50£.Keep on eye on the ebay and you will find you`r turbo.
Yes,is true,the cost for the FMIC+remap(you need also 3 AM intercooler pipes) it`s circa 500£.

Last edited: