2.5 TDI rear lower bumper.

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've decided I can't justify the monies on a s line kit for a while.
So i'm doing a temp fix by fitting a standard type bumper with the cut outs for the twin exhaust.
Has anyone done this on the 2.5? What did you do to get the exhaust pipes showing?
Did you have to fit different back boxes? or weld on pipes?
Cheers.

I have fitted a twin exit lower bumper on my 2.5 avant.The existing exhausts line up with the holes but you need to weld new tail pipes on to make them longer so they come up to the bumper.

ive done the same with my 2.5 avant. all in cost for me was £85 ish, paid £65 from ebay for a full rear 1.8t bumper, swapped the bottom valances and resold it for £60 so the bottom was a fiver.paint was £60 and i got 2 new 90mm stainless exhaust tip for £18 because they had a couple of scuffs on that were unseeable when fitted. welded them on myself using a stick welder and stainless rods. rods cost 3 quid. So it does just show that you can do it on a budget and it looks perfect.

I might go for stainless downsweep, like on the b7 2.7's.
Nice and subtle.
What do you think?

here we are little dirty but you will get the jist
back1.jpg

ASHIHARA nice motor mate. lookin at your photo the tail pipes arnt quite central. You can adjust them sideways slightly by undoing the hanger bracket(2 bolts) moving to the required position and retighten. Im sorry if you already know this, it does look nice

Yep,i know they are not quite central,but they are not fitted with bolts,are welded to rear muffler;so is to late for me.But i thing they dont look so bad :)

image host

mine are welded also but if you lay on your back and look up under the bumper the hanger is bolted to the body and there is sideways movement on them so you should be able to centre them. mine were the same till i adjusted them. have a look and you will see what i mean

Looking really good gents!
They're not too sooty being a diesel?

Couple more questions. Do you just cut them so they just come straight out?
What size is the pipe?

@swarcup you`are right,there is enough space to move it up-down,right-left,but i have to do the job again and i`m too lazy for that :blink:

@BlackQuat,i have been cut the stock pipe which is directed downward and welded the new tail pipe to the rear muffler;mine is 90mm.
if you clean them regularly,one time in 2-3weeks,should be fine:yes:

i just cut off the down turn bit which leaves you a stub to be welded to, i cant remember from top of my head think they are 56mm.

Excellent, cheers lads.
So I need 50mm to 90 maybe 100mm

Yes,i have the same tail pipes from that seller;because the stock pipe it was to small(50mm) and other tail pipe to big(65-70mm),i couldn`t held on,so i welded on,which is better.
Just cut the stock tail pipe,fixe the new tail pipe in the same position and welded on;that`s all :)

I've just been out, mine seem to be about 56mm, certainly bigger than 50mm?
The gap between the bumper and the pipes is about 180mm, so those at 215mm will stick out quite far?

mine are 215 long and they stick out around 20mm but look just right to me. The ones i have are 58mm at one end and then widen out to 90mm. the 58mm piece is around 60mm long minimum so there is room there to shorten if you want to bring them flush

mine are 215 long and they stick out around 20mm but look just right to me. The ones i have are 58mm at one end and then widen out to 90mm. the 58mm piece is around 60mm long minimum so there is room there to shorten if you want to bring them flush
May I ask where you got yours from?
So the ones in your photo are 215mm long?

Look`s like 2,5tdi tail pipes are a bit bigger like 1,9tdi tail pipes;in the pictures i`ve posted you can see how it look`s on mine and they don`t stick out.
Where you took a measurement?From muffler?

Not from the very end, I thought with them being bent the opening would be slightly bigger. I took the measurements from the straight part of the tailpipe before the bend down.
I'll buy those ones you posted up. See if they fit ok.
Cheers gents.

Been out for a good nosey, using string round the OD of the pipes. It's 19.5cm, so 195mm. The diameter of that is 62mm?
I measured from the furthest back of the pipes to the bumper and it's around 160mm, so 215mm would stick out miles?

The diameter of that is 65-70mm,i don`t remember exactly.
To the end,look`s to me are more differences between 2,5 and 1,9;on 1,9tdi the distance is longer,again i don`t remember how much.
If the distance is 160mm,then should stick out;my advice is to welded on to the muffler from a strong attachment,not bent on.