Product recall on 1.8 and above 2001 onwards

its definately worth a try, and you might get 4 new shiny black ones

Mines already booked in..... but I can't take it until 05/04 so I'm really just seeing how much success (grief) people are having. But it looks as though Audi are sticking to their word and doing the job professionally.....

i must admit i was surprised as i bought 4 new ones 3.5 yrs when i bought the car.. my mate with an S3 took his and he only got 1 changed which he wasnt very happy about..

I changed all mine last year and am booked into Southampton Audi this morning to hopefully get refunded

Just called Nottm Audi - they checked database - mine is effected in this afternoon at 3.30 to get done - result!! Oh and that includes a visual health check and washer top up (code for we will find something wrong so it will cost you) :)

thanks for this. If I have recently changed all four coil packs, is there anything I can claim?

I changed all mine last year, took the car in with all old ones with my including the copy of the invoice and Audi uk are refunding me for all 8! Just picked my S4 up and they have cleaned it inside and out as well

i called up slough audi, they said mine is not covered under the recall, although i have had to replace all 4 coil packs in the last 6 months!!

So, Nottingham Audi, still have my S4 - she went in I had a coffee - man came out - "sorry sir we have damaged your car" - one of the techicians whilst attempting to remove the CP, caught a pipe and ripped it out. Problem is the computers were down so nobody could check stock levels - "we are going to have to lend you a car" (hmmm nice RS5 out front I thought, getting excited) - er no...

So I have the pleasure of driving around in a Seat Ibiza Diesel for the weekend - :) Gotta laugh - but good service from Audi to be fair :)

5e2219e1.jpg

Hi, i had to take my 03 1.8t (163) into audi norwich for a new lock cable which had snapped, as i was talking to the guy i just mentioned that i had replaced 3 coil packs over the past 3 years, he asked me for the reg number and came back 5 mins later and asked me to bring it back the following day and they would replace all of them for free! fantastic service from audi. worth asking the question, nothing to lose if your not sure if they have been replaced.

i called audi slough for the second time and spoke to somebody different, a lady this time, very helpful. called me back this morning, and has me booked in on wednesday for the plenum chamber recall as well as the coil pack recall. she told me to bring my receipts in for the coil packs i have bought and they will reimburse me, good news!!

Right, I did an oil and filter change on the old girl today....

I took the engine cover off and found that the coil packs weren't bolted in. Did someone say that the new ones are bolted down?

If it is, then I've got 4 shiny new ones when it goes in next week.....

had 4 replaced at listers in worcester yesterday,

Right, I did an oil and filter change on the old girl today....

I took the engine cover off and found that the coil packs weren't bolted in. Did someone say that the new ones are bolted down?

If it is, then I've got 4 shiny new ones when it goes in next week.....

There are different types for different engines - some are bolt downs, others are push down.

As far as I recall from the A3 thread, the bolt down type aren't affected - so if yours are push fit, they could well need replacing.

Nice where you getting your remap done? Is that your car in the pic, you might be better waiting till after you get your coilpacks done for your remap just incase they plug your car in on the diagnostics and flash your ecu or update it, you could lose your remap. I know a few of the lads on the A3 forum were worried about it. I know mine was not put on the diagnostic machine that was an extra £115 for that...

I wish it was my car... I have a lowly AVJ turbo mate....

I'll tell them not to do anything with the ECU....

ha ha wouldn't mind one either, you'll be ok they wont put it on the machine they give it a quick visual health check, wheels, tyres and brakes, free wash and vac, job done..

Found this, seems to list all the engine and part codes affected. I still dont get why mine doesnt need doing :(

28E9

woohoo just had mine done today ! 1 coil changed car washed , tyres dressed and interior vacumed plus a free tin of travel sweets thrown in too !

and all this for free !:yes:

just had mine done today ! 4 coil-plugs changed, free of charge :)

Just outta curiosity, they are all black coil-packs this time not the usual orange tops? any reason for this? only asking as i have a spare orange one sitting in case one packs in!

Phoned Liverpool Audi today, and my car is on the list, booked in for 11 April, also having expansion tank replaced as it is all cracked and starting to leak!!, and new keys coded to car.
Will be given courtesy car aswell, although do not know what model or spec Etc..

just had mine done today ! 4 coil-plugs changed, free of charge :)

Just outta curiosity, they are all black coil-packs this time not the usual orange tops? any reason for this? only asking as i have a spare orange one sitting in case one packs in!

Are the ones that they fitted bolted in or just pushed in? The coil packs that are fitted to mine are black, but not bolted in.....

Done - got her back - all Coilpacks replaced and cleaned inside and out... I managed to get 62MPG out of the Ibiza - makes you think :/

So, Nottingham Audi, still have my S4 - she went in I had a coffee - man came out - "sorry sir we have damaged your car" - one of the techicians whilst attempting to remove the CP, caught a pipe and ripped it out. Problem is the computers were down so nobody could check stock levels - "we are going to have to lend you a car" (hmmm nice RS5 out front I thought, getting excited) - er no...

So I have the pleasure of driving around in a Seat Ibiza Diesel for the weekend - :) Gotta laugh - but good service from Audi to be fair :)

5e2219e1.jpg

Lol, I use Notts Audi too - they give me one of the white A3's! wow, feel the power!

I've just had an update from Audi, 3 coils replaced, 4th not replaced as it is not a genuine audi coil.

Cheers for the heads up,im booked in for nxt week
Mine all done,had a coffee while i waited.They did find a rear brake bulb had gone.could change for me at £21.43 plus vat.:jester:
I now know why they dont service it !!

Hi got mine booked in on wednesday a big heads up for this. Cheers

Last edited:
unlucky bigRich.... I've had much better luck with my courtesy cars from Audi: on an non coilpack related service at Walton, I had the service over-run (they had forewarned me that they didn't think they would be able to complete my service in the one day due to staff shortages).

The initial work was scheduled for the Friday: I mentioned that I'd like something with back doors for the weekend: the Friday runabout they'd given me was a 3 door 1.4TFSI A3, with <2000 miles on the clock - not a bad car, but a nightmare for the babyseat... the gent from servicing said "how does an A6 LeMans Tiptronic sound".... I tried to contain my excitement.... and then my disappointment when we got down to the garage and somebody had taken it out already.... :( Was a quattro, hence the tiptronic), but not sure if it was the 3.0 TDI / 3.2 petrol.... either way, the fallback option I got wasn't too bad: a B8 A4 170TDI with full "Tecnik" pack (parking sensors, full MMI, full heated leather, SDS high)... essentially just about every single toy except the DAB+Freeview.

Definitely given me some faith in Audi dealers... now I just need to work out why the company car scheme has S5 Sportbacks at the same price as the A5 2.0 TDI Sportback! (something to do with the S5 coming with lots of toys as standard)....

Last edited:
unlucky bigRich.... I've had much better luck with my courtesy cars from Audi: on an non coilpack related service at Walton, I had the service over-run (they had forewarned me that they didn't think they would be able to complete my service in the one day due to staff shortages).

The initial work was scheduled for the Friday: I mentioned that I'd like something with back doors for the weekend: the Friday runabout they'd given me was a 3 door 1.4TFSI A3, with

Well, I've got my car back today, and all he coilpacks on mine were the revised parts anyway. I've had a look through my handbook etc. and I've found receipts for 4 new coilpacks. They've been in a couple of years, but I'm relatively happy that I'm not going to have any issues for a while yet.

Gutted, I didn't know about this and had coilpacks go on me at the end of February.

I went straight to Liverpool Audi same day and bought 4 for £143.76 and fitted them myself.

I've got a 51 plate A4 1.8T. Do you think I will get any money back? Has anybody had same happen?

I've still got the receipt and the old coilpacks

Gutted, I didn't know about this and had coilpacks go on me at the end of February.

I went straight to Liverpool Audi same day and bought 4 for £143.76 and fitted them myself.

I've got a 51 plate A4 1.8T. Do you think I will get any money back? Has anybody had same happen?

It can't help to try can it......

i think you will mate, took mine to liverpool audi saturday and had them done there, but i read in a previous post in this section that someone got a refund or was getting a refund due to having them fitted before