Juddering under heavy braking

X30

Reaction score
I have noticed bad juddering while braking at around 70 mph. The car seems to shake from the nearside front.

Any ideas?

1.8T quattro sport:crying:

Agreed, warped discs by the sound of it.

Or potentially wheels out of balance, although you'd probably have noticed that anyway.

It may be that your pads are really low too. Low pads can make it feel like warped discs, but that may not be the case......

begining to think mine might be a balljoint of some type as i had an advisory on it's MOT a couple of months back ..... fitting some spacers may have accentuated the problem ... need to check MOT tonight to find which ones he was on about as i believe there's about 3 on either side ??

110,000 jacked it up tonight and i really cant feel anything but like i said they lower balljoints were an advisory ..... i can also hear the disc's catching in one particular place when i spin the wheels which might sugest they are a bit warped .... i'll change it all out over the next couple of months and keep ya posted

Fixed today by fitting these and some new pads ...... you should have seen the state of the old disc's i'm quite shocked it passed it MOT.... they looked fine from the front but the backs were nasty

P1010382.jpg

P1010384.jpg

So turns out i don't need any control arms just yet..... Happy chap

What docs are those , if you don't mind me asking ??

The Disc's ???? they are just a cheapo's off eBay... infact probably cheaper than standards discs from some places and i'm under no illusions that they are just the standard disc's drilled and grooved .... some may poo poo this but i don't drive it hard, it's no track car and the grooves and drilling will help illiminate water build up that tends give me a bad pedal when braking at the end of my motorway journey in the mornings as i can drive a good 30 miles without touching the brake pedal and if it's been raining it can be a bit scary.... here's a link to the supplier Audi A4 1995-2007 inc. TDi & Quattro Drilled & Grooved Sports FRONT Brake Discs | eBay

i had them on a gsi once
never touch them again
you really do get what you pay for with those

well the way i look at it ..... they were cheap and will do for now.....and they cant be any worse than what i took off.... i'll post a pic tomorrow.....they were bad ..... these look like seconds to me ...not ground very well and a few dings and bangs on them that i had to clean up but the seller had 99.5% rep so i'll take the risk....as i said i don't drive it hard

Performing well in my S4, much better than stock and they look damn good to.. They also make a great hummin noise when you brake firmly from high speed..