Temperature

WHITEY_1

Reaction score
O.k Lads and girls,
Ive got a bit of a problem with my water temperature if I drive the car from cold and do about 5 miles the temperature gage goes to just under 90 oC when I pull over and check the water pipes the top pipes going to the head are hot and the water pipes going to the bottom of the engine are cold! Could this be the water pump or the thermostat?

Any help much appreciated

If you dive it hard dose the temp go past 90, and then back off dose it come down?

Now its just going past 90 and it will drop back down but then it will go back up to 90 if I drive 4 or 5 miles!

What you describe (bottom pipes cold) is quite normal for a newly started engine tbh.

Once the engine warms up, does the guage stay at 90c? If it drops down when you drive faster your thermostat is gone. If its jumping about randomly then its quite likely the temperature sensor.

Forgot to post an up date on this . it was the water pump.
so had the cambelt done as well even though there was 50 odd thousand miles still left on it! So if you have got these symptoms you know it is your water pump! All the best! Oh 1 more thing I put a metal water pump back in not a plastic 1 All the best!

Glad you got it sorted.

I had my cambelt done recently along with waterpump and I asked Audi to use a metal impeller waterpump and they refused, said it would be plastic....