how do you remove the interior panel from avant tailgate ,help

lee red

Reaction score
ok guys can yous point me in the the right direction please ,i need to get at my rear wiper and tail lock,i had a go this morn but can only get so far with it ,i have taken the 4 torx screws out of the front side of the panel and unclipped wat i can see 4 of inside the panel, this is were im at it is still not free all i can see is a screw inside on each corner the far corner, do these need to come out, if so how do get to them coz they are well out of reach unless you have very slim arms or a very long screwdriver about 3ft ,...so hows it done without damaging owt , any help much appreciated. 2004 18t sport avant.

there are screws behind the warning triangle and some in the front face then its pull like hell because there are spring clips on the rear of the panel which fit into slots in the steel of the tailgate. you can lever these out 1 by 1 with a long screwdriver or prybar starting from one side and working your way across.

It's that classic case of "How hard do I pull without breaking the tabs off?"!

This might give you an idea of where the

Tailgate1.jpg

Tailgate2.jpg

LOL !

I struggled with mine, even with said diagram, but in the end, I just ended up relying on pure BRUTE FORCE !! LOL

exellent thankyou all ,james big thanks for the diagrams ,scott thanks for the offer matey if iam struggling i mite give you a shout ,think were i was going wrong was that i was only seeing/popping 4 of spring clips not the 6 ..doh

Last edited:
Hard bit is the 2 hooks eitherside of the bottom of the rear screen, hard to explain over words. Easier by phone. When u next having a go ? You could give me a call if you want ?

cheers scooby i mite have a look this afternoon about 4/5 ish i will pm you my number ,give me a txt then i will have your number to call if i get stuck.