Recurring Brake Light Swith Fault ?

sniffy_smiffy

Reaction score
Seems to be alot of these Brake light switch posts at the mo.

Sorry but heres another one....

This is the second time in two months i have had my ABS light come on and my brake lights (Left & right) stop working. Top centre boot spoiler light works fine?

The first time they stoppped working i could hit the rear cluster and they would work again for a while but not this time?

This is my VAG-COM error.

00526 - Brake Light Switch-F 36-00 - Open Circuit

I know I will have to check rear clusters again but them did seem to be in very good order generally. All the track had good continuity and I cant see anything obvious.

Do i just keep buying these switches and replacing them ? Dont see why they break so quickly maybe dodgy wiring somewhere but I cant find it ?

Does this fault just mean the swith itself is faulty or could it be other associated wiring ?

Any ideas?

So how many times have you replaced the switch then?

If it was the switch i would not expect the high level brake light (on the spoiler) to work?

I know wierd about rear spoiler working ? and I still have the active open circuit fault?

The first time the was just before xmas. then i had it replaced.
Now march. another one ?

I think I'd try and get a look at a wiring diagram or something. I'm not sure but I'd think there's one power feed for the lights leaving the switch which would split further down the car.

I'd look at the associated wiring first. If I get time I'll have a look for a wiring diagram, but if anyone else can then please do!

I think when the switch goes it will show as 'intermittent fault' rather than 'open circuit' so I would guess it is not the switch unit itself.

Thanks James & pj,

Feel stupid now.......

I managed to have a look and there were bad contacts on the bottom of the bulbs themselves.
I scrapped the crap away from the twin contacts on the bulb and bobs your uncle.

I had checked the rear light cluster tracks before, but not the actual bulb contacts.....

ABS light now off & nice bright brake lights.

Just out of interest why are there two switches on the back of the brake pedal?
One is a two wire plug (with plunger) and the other is the normal 4 wire brake light switch?

Thanks for your help.

I have an MOT tomorrow morning!! Good timing ....... Phew

The second switch might be to cancel the cruise control perhaps?