Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Xenon headlight issue

2nd Gear

Status
    Same happened to me when disconnected.

Sounds like we both have bad connections. Yours from the module to the motor, and mine from the sensor to the module..

The big question is..

How do you find a bad earth? Can anybody help?
    B6 S4 4.2 V8 SILVER SALOON - BEIGE ALCANTARA - BOSE SYMPHONY - DRILLED/GROOVED FRONT DISCS

FOR SALE: £6750ono

Previous Cars
    .:R32 MKIV 3DR Pearl Black (Awesome car), Lexus RX300, Lexus LS400, Mitsubishi Shogun Sport V6, Audi TT Roadster 225, Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8, Mazda RX8 231, Peugeot 307 CC 180, Subaru Impreza WRX 2.5, BMW520i, Lexus IS200,Golf GTi MKV, Audi A4 1.9TDi 130

2. # ADS
    ADS

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrichw View Post
    Same happened to me when disconnected.

Sounds like we both have bad connections. Yours from the module to the motor, and mine from the sensor to the module..

The big question is..

How do you find a bad earth? Can anybody help?
    Why don't you create yourself another earth direct to the battery and see if that fixes it ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Why don't you create yourself another earth direct to the battery and see if that fixes it ?
    Good idea, all we need know is some guidance... Knowing my luck I would blow the car up
    B6 S4 4.2 V8 SILVER SALOON - BEIGE ALCANTARA - BOSE SYMPHONY - DRILLED/GROOVED FRONT DISCS

Previous Cars
    .:R32 MKIV 3DR Pearl Black (Awesome car), Lexus RX300, Lexus LS400, Mitsubishi Shogun Sport V6, Audi TT Roadster 225, Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8, Mazda RX8 231, Peugeot 307 CC 180, Subaru Impreza WRX 2.5, BMW520i, Lexus IS200,Golf GTi MKV, Audi A4 1.9TDi 130

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Good idea, all we need know is some guidance... Knowing my luck I would blow the car up
    All Audi earth wires are coloured Brown so not really to hard to identify the wires - unless you are colour-blind maybe!!!
    As Mike says create a new one for test purposes from a good earth point like the battery negative terminal.
    To check earth wires use a reasonable quality Multimeter and set to Ohms and make some measurements from the test point with respect to the negative earth terminal of the battery, (Infinity means open circuit, small number of Ohms like 1-2 Ohms is a short circuit.)

HOWEVER.... the level sensors do not have a direct earth on them!

Here is the circuit on the sensors:

How to test the G78 sensor.......

With the system fully connected and ignition on,
    On G78 I would expect to measure a fixed voltage between G78 "5/+" [19] (positive) and G78 "1/-" [20] (negative) connections - the schematic shows the polarity which I have put in brackets. The headlight range control circuit probably has a diagnostic check to make sure this connection is made as the load is a fixed resistance.

NOTE: J431 is the Headlight range control unit behind the glovebox - it's respective connections are shown in [brackets].

Check this voltage at the control unit end and also the sensor connector end - voltages should be the same at both ends - or near as damn it. If not at the sensor end then there is a broken wire along the way.

The output voltage between "4/S" [15] and "1/-" [20] will vary as per the level of the suspension at the front - maybe you can move the suspension by jacking up and down the front??

Similarly measure the voltage at the control unit end and the sensor end with no change in suspension level - if they are the same voltage then working OK, if not then there is a break in the wiring.

Have ago at this and feed us back your findings.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 14th April 2011 at 18:08.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats my weekend taken care of - Many thanks to Woorlord, what would we do without you

Previous Cars

2nd Gear

Status
    Well, its a faulty sensor - when you take a look at the meas. blocks on ignition only it is 0v, when engine running its allover the place... Rear sensor at a steady 2.2v - new sensor should sort it then

Previous Cars

Status
    Well, its a faulty sensor - when you take a look at the meas. blocks on ignition only it is 0v, when engine running its allover the place... Rear sensor at a steady 2.2v - new sensor should sort it then
    Can you post up the measuring block information for reference and any screen dumps - maybe useful for others.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    Can you post up the measuring block information for reference and any screen dumps - maybe useful for others.
    Sure will do mate. Thanks for all your help on this.

Previous Cars

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry for delay.. Been busy with work!

Being fixed tomorrow at C&R ... £200!!!

Previous Cars

Neutral

Status
    Sorry for bumping this thread .....please forgive me. Two main dealer trips and two auto electrians and still no joy. Is it possible to manual adjust the headlights up for doe/nct purposes? As an aside a mate of mine put his Snap-On diag on it yesterday and couldn't access the xenon light module,might be a coincidence though.
    a4 v6 2.5tdi b6 18"rs rns-e genuine bt quattro chipped to 210hp mfsw,cruise control, ashtray ipod connector,

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You need to put it on vcds & then test for module 55, if its still not accessible, then this maybe why there's an issue if fuses & wiring has been checked already.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    I had this exact problem on my S3. I replaced the motors and still they didnt adjust or when they did would soon drop and point to the floor, Bought 2 new genuine headlight units from audi (not cheap!) as my old ones were dull and chipped only to find they still did it! Finally solved it by changing the headlight range control unit with a second hand one for £10, fitted it myself and got the garage i use to reset the beam level with vcds. Lights were perfect and never played up after that.
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You need to put it on vcds & then test for module 55, if its still not accessible, then this maybe why there's an issue if fuses & wiring has been checked already.
    No worries thanks for your reply but now I can't get my cable for vagcom to work with windows 7....I'm all problems lol
    a4 v6 2.5tdi b6 18"rs rns-e genuine bt quattro chipped to 210hp mfsw,cruise control, ashtray ipod connector,

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Thanks again for reply I fixed my vagcom (only a fimware update, I'm so lazy). But module 55 is still inaccessible so I guess I'm back to square one again.

Neutral

Status

Smile

By the way a bit more info about my problem.I loaned the car to my Dad and he went on long journey with a serious amount of weight in the boot(arse touching the road weight) and he called me to say the issue had arose. This thing really is wrecking my head. I meant to say that is the driver's side light,the passenger one is aimed correctly abeit I don't know if it is adjusting up and down.
    Last edited by quattrov6tdi; 27th April 2013 at 02:04.

Status
    I think this thread is pretty complete if you read all the posts - check all the wiring.
    Get a replacement control unit (located behind glove box - see previous posts for picture location) - come up on Ebay quite alot - paid a few pence couple years ago. Seen them recently for around £40.
    Check at German & Swedish - it's a Hella Part, "5LA 008 081-10", Audi Part no. "4Z7 907 357".
    quattrov6tdi and NHN like this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    We're going round in circles here, just do as advised, as nothing more can be said.
    quattrov6tdi likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Ok I ordered the module tonight cost 60 dollars delivered. Let ye know how it goes.

Thx again guys
    Last edited by quattrov6tdi; 27th April 2013 at 22:53.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12