Advice on buying on A4 2.5tdi Quattro Sport

wazz

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the market for an Audi A4 2.5tdi Quattro Sport.

I am looking at this one.

2004, Black with black leather.
72k FSH, cambelt changed and serviced at 68k.
1 years MOT and Taxed until June.
Michelin Pilots all round with the front a year old and the two rear have 3mm and 2mm approx tread left.
4 owners. The last owner had the car for 4 years

I am told that apart from very small scuff to the front bumper the car is in good nick.
The salesman has agreed to £7000.

I am concerned with the fact that this car has had 4 owners and I will be number 5. Is it worth it at this price?

2004 AUDI A4 2.5 TDi 180 Quattro Sport

Thanks for your help.

When i bought mine it to had had 4 owners but if the car is good what does it matter? I think that people buy these cars and its only then they realise how thirsty they can be, you should see around 400 miles to a fill up which will equate to around 30-35mpg. make shure the clutch is smooth from set off in first and second as this usually points to it having had a few racey starts. The other main biggy to check is that the temp guage sits nicely at 90 degrees and does not move, if it doesnt then you need a new thermostat, which is buried behind the cambelt so is an expensive job. It should have been changed along with the water pump when the cam belts were done(worth checking). When you start it from cold check the dash for a red brake sybol flashing. this happens throughout the a4 range and points to the first sign the battery is going down. If you know someone with vag-com its always worth scanning the car when looking at it. All in all they are very nicely made cars and the torque you get from the v6 will make you smile.
With regard to the tyres they are legal so you may try and haggle that it is an expense coming soon as with a quattro you must replace both tyres on each axle at the same time to keep the diffs ok.:icon_thumright:

also when test driving listen for any clunking/knocking noises from around the wheels as the a4 has fully indipendant suspension at each corner and there are a few ball joints that can go

Last edited:
Sound good to me but do you get any guarantee .We have a sport and an SE both avants and you need to be aware of mpg being lower on Quattros.Does it have DIS or cruise which are extras on a Sport but desirable.Mileage is lowbut we paid that for the Sport 2years ago privately 100k heated leather auto and they are still hard to find

When i bought mine it to had had 4 owners but if the car is good what does it matter? I think that people buy these cars and its only then they realise how thirsty they can be, you should see around 400 miles to a fill up which will equate to around 30-35mpg. make shure the clutch is smooth from set off in first and second as this usually points to it having had a few racey starts. The other main biggy to check is that the temp guage sits nicely at 90 degrees and does not move, if it doesnt then you need a new thermostat, which is buried behind the cambelt so is an expensive job. It should have been changed along with the water pump when the cam belts were done(worth checking). When you start it from cold check the dash for a red brake sybol flashing. this happens throughout the a4 range and points to the first sign the battery is going down. If you know someone with vag-com its always worth scanning the car when looking at it. All in all they are very nicely made cars and the torque you get from the v6 will make you smile.
With regard to the tyres they are legal so you may try and haggle that it is an expense coming soon as with a quattro you must replace both tyres on each axle at the same time to keep the diffs ok.:icon_thumright:

also when test driving listen for any clunking/knocking noises from around the wheels as the a4 has fully indipendant suspension at each corner and there are a few ball joints that can go

I have had a 530d sport auto so know about thirsty diesels. This should be about the same if not slightly better.

I will keep an eye out for all the points you have raised. My cousin is into these cars and has the relevant vag-com so no issues there.

I am getting into a bad habit recently of buying a new motor every 6 months. Hence if I buy this then the person who is going to be buying from me will be owner no 6.

Sound good to me but do you get any guarantee .We have a sport and an SE both avants and you need to be aware of mpg being lower on Quattros.Does it have DIS or cruise which are extras on a Sport but desirable.Mileage is lowbut we paid that for the Sport 2years ago privately 100k heated leather auto and they are still hard to find

Yeah the car has cruise control, no guarantee and I have no idea what DIS is.

Ideally it would be good to check with VAGCOM that it has no hidden faults.Full DIS would tell what mpg its been doing anything much lower than 30 would indicate poss prob