Looking at A4 today

reynot01

Reaction score
Hi newbie here...

I am looking at an 02 A4 1.8T Sport 4dr saloon today, just wondered if there was anything specific that I should be looking at, any known problems etc.

Also it doesn't have CD changer, are these expensive to get retro fitted?

Thanks,

BTW it 36000 miles, mint condition, BOSE upgrade, aluminium trim for £12500. Is this about right?

Thanks in advance.

Check to see if it's had coilpack problems and if so, how many have been replaced.

BOSE but no CD changer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I can't understand the specs some people go for - unless it has a Symphony II head unit and they've forgotten to list it.

Parkers guide says about £13600 for a private sale on an 2002/02 plate (20000 miles) and £14580 from a dealer, assuming you are looking at the 163ps (150bhp) version. There is also a 180bhp version but I'm not sure when this was introduced. The price is cheaper because of the mileage, you would need a Parkers guide to work out how many £1000 to deduct based on the excess mileage to see if £12500 is reasonable. Check carefully for any extras, i.e. rear electric windows/Internal light pack etc, as these may be desirable to you, but the Sport model comes loaded with a lot of the stuff you'd expect such as heated mirrors etc.

Not sure about problems with the car, only just bought one myself, if you can why not get one which is still in warranty, i.e. a late 03 car?

Just been to see it, no coilpack probs, very clean car.

Will need to get Cruise Control but I gather you can get this installed for about £200, is that right?

Also I will need a CD changer, does anyone know how much to retro fit this?

He will accept £12k for cash, so seems a good deal.

You can get Cruise Control fitted. AMD do this for £350+VAT. I'm not sure if other companies do this and how much it costs. If you search the forums I bet you'll find the information you need.

I believe to get a CD changer you will need to get the Symphony II stereo, as standard yours will be the Symphony I stereo. The best bet will be to search for one in the For Sale section or on Ebay - I bet it is really expensive at the dealership.

Do a quick check on Autotrader just to make sure the price is good. I.e. do a search for similar cars.

I believe a4sline does it. He PM'd me recently about doing it for me.

Just send him a PM. I believe quite a few people on here have used him.

Whats the difference between symphony II and symphony I HU's, how can you tell. Does it just say on the HU (I haven't picked car up yet so please don't flame me if it does....)