MOT

Steve_N

Derv Power
Reaction score
Hi Guys, my MOT is due at the end of March, what im not sure about is if i get it done earlier and the car fails have i still got till the MOT runs out to get it repaired, or does this just cancel the MOT that is left.:unsure:
I have a feeling it may fail on the front lower suspension arm bushes, it will be my fault as they have been flagged up as a slight play for the last 2 years now, and i have just never bothered to get it fixed and now the dreaded test is looming fast.
Thanks in advance for your wise wisdoms.

no the old mot still stands mat ei had my mot and if did not pass cv boot split so i asked can i still use it and they said yes ;-)

You can get your mot done 1 month early and if it passes you will have 13 months mot :eyebrows:

Jay

Although the MOT stays valid you have to be careful to keep a car roadworthy so if it fails make sure you get their assurrance that it is safe to drive just in case you insurers need to know .Anything serious might mean you would have take it off the road until repaired

Although the MOT stays valid you have to be careful to keep a car roadworthy so if it fails make sure you get their assurrance that it is safe to drive just in case you insurers need to know .Anything serious might mean you would have take it off the road until repaired
No MOT station will give there assurance that your car is safe when failed
its a bit of a contradiction to failing it really .

The reason I asked this is because I am having a free MOT from Audi(this will be my 3rd), and if it fails I needed to know wether i could still use the car, as I would have to book the car in and book a courtsesy car, and these are hard to come by.

I am having a free MOT from Audi(this will be my 3rd)

If you dont mind me asking how did you get the free mot, i was sent info in the post telling me that i could have a free mot at audi but when i phoned them to confirm this they told me that because my car had'nt a full audi service history that i could'nt have 1 and that my car was too old (03) and i did'nt qualify for the free mot :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cheers Jay

I am having a free MOT from Audi(this will be my 3rd)

If you dont mind me asking how did you get the free mot, i was sent info in the post telling me that i could have a free mot at audi but when i phoned them to confirm this they told me that because my car had'nt a full audi service history that i could'nt have 1 and that my car was too old (03) and i did'nt qualify for the free mot :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cheers Jay

My car has a FASH, and wasnt due a service when it had its first MOT, but it was overdue a service when it went for the second. It only got serviced September last year, and they checked up to make sure it had been serviced before giving me another free MOT.
I shouldnt think the age was a problem, mine is an 04, and the dealers are doing special prices on fixed servicing for older cars.

In my opinion the free MOT is a loss leader - it's in their interest to fail the car so you pay them to 'repair' it and pass it. Once it's in their hands they rely on the fact they you need it to pass and will pay pretty much anything to get it back on the road.

Don't be afraid to drive it away to get the work done/a second opinion elsewhere and not pay them a penny.

My local main dealer (Tetbury Audi) failed mine and asked for over £1000 to replace the whole exhaust. I took it elsewhere and it passed. I reported them and they offered a written apology and refunded the cost of a service I'd had done previously.

Check out what the law says about driving it when it's failed - I think you're ok driving to a pre-booked re-test or to have work carried out but I may be wrong on that.

It would be interesting to know why Audi failed the exhaust and if it seemed that they were clearly wrong and sb reported to the authorities.I am sure that there are many cases where they get away with this trick as it has happened to me .The last time the original garage said the faults they listed were a matter of opinion eg headlight alignment.They went out of business soon after .They new trick seems to be issuing the MOT with a priced shopping list of things to do as Halfords did with my wifes Micra recently one of which was to rectify out of balance front brakes which are 100% cos I changed the discs and pads myself but a lady owner might easily have been conned into agreeing to the work totalling over £500

In my opinion the free MOT is a loss leader - it's in their interest to fail the car so you pay them to 'repair' it and pass it. Once it's in their hands they rely on the fact they you need it to pass and will pay pretty much anything to get it back on the road.

Don't be afraid to drive it away to get the work done/a second opinion elsewhere and not pay them a penny.

As previously said this will be my 3rd free MOT, it has had an advisory for the same thing on the last 2, Audi have never pressurised or tried to get me to book the car in to repair this. I asked for a quote for the work to be done as i was going to get it sorted before the test and they told me not to bother, just wait and see if it passes or fails then take it from there.
I know not all dealers are like this but i trust this one as they have never ripped me off with any work done, in fact they have done all they can to add discounts and bring the cost down.