Popped over from the 8L S3 side - info needed on B6 S4's

SamiG

On Boost, ish.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

just after a bit of info/advice really. had my 8L Imola S3 for a year now but i'm really, really tempted by a B6 V8 S4 :hubbahubba:

Just after any info you guys can give me i.e what spec to look out for etc..

When i got my S3 i was looking for a specific spec and i managed to get all bar the heated leather.

I'll probably go for another Imola Audi with full black leather (heated & elec if poss)

What specs are extras and what's standard i.e Sat Nav, TV, Phone, Bluetooth, Cruise, folding mirrors etc etc...

And are there any particulars i should look out for when shopping for an S4?

Any help very much appreciated :thumbsup:

i had a tuned 1.8T 225 Audi TT before and then considered the S4, but ended up with a mkv R32 DSG, which is very sweet. just felt more modern

Excellent choice of motor to go for. They really are a great drive. I love mine, but driving a V8 to the job centre is really not a good look, hence why mine is currently for sale, lol. Otherwise it would be staying for sure.

Anyway, spec wise, its up to you. Personally, I don't bother with sat-nav and stuff. I have a gamin that cost a fraction of the price, and will work in any car I happen to be in. That said, it would probably help on resale. Same story with bluetooth and phone prep, although I'm not sure if the B6 had these options available?

Black leather, again, thats what I would prefer. But mine has the cream, but with a black dash, black headlining black doorcards and carbon fibre inserts, I think the contrast looks good on it.

Cruise control is nice, but it is cheap to retrofit. Some Audi places will retrofit for £150, not all though, otherwise its about £75 for the parts, and a couple hours, then set it up in vagcom and your away.

Can't say I've seen a Imola B6, but thats not to say they dont exist?

I guess a lot of it will depend on budget too. Make sure there is FSH, and do a MOT check on DVLA website to confirm mileage. Then its just a case of finding one within budget. They vary in price from about £8k to £12k+ (for sub 100k), less for higher mileages. Mines is on 92k for £8k as an example, but it isn't mint. There is another I see about the forums too, and Avant with about 70k-odd for £12k. I've no doubt its probably in better condition than mine, but not sure about £4k. For £12k I'd want sub-50k.

I love my Red S4, fortunate enough to have the black leather as well!! Be aware though they aren't the best on petrol but with a Milltek non-res fitted not much sounds better (side by side to my friends R8, mine sounds loads nicer!!).

Just make sure you get a good one with full history, mine has just touched 80k with full history and it still drives like new!

Woorlord that info is superb thanks!

I don't think i will find the car with the exact spec i want but i'll have to keep looking.

What's the tiptronic gearbox like?

Does it mean you have the ability to switch between fully automatic and semi-auto with paddle shift?

Thanks

Tiptronic is a full 5-speed autobox so a manual is still going to be faster.
You can push the auto-stick from "D" to the left and have a sequential gearbox - bear in mind it is no where as quick as a DSG box with two clutches.
The "S" mode below "D" is a much more responsive full auto.

I do not have the paddleshift but there was a sports steering wheel button +/- button selection option available - I actually have this steering wheel in my garage and a replacement slip ring with the additional row of contacts required - just need to change them both over at some point. Got them on Ebay for £50 and £12 respectively some time ago.

I think Tiptronic and S4 combination was from 2004?
The 2003 pricing only shows S4 manual available.

So is DSG the box with paddle shift?

Sorry i'm just a tad confused by it all..

I believe Paddleshift (flaps behind the steering wheel) is available on the B7 & B8 models but not on the B6 for all types of auto box.
DSG is not available on the B6, only 5-speed Tiptronic-Quattro on 3.0L and 4.2L(S4) engines.
Multitronic (Chain implementing auto variable ratio gearbox - with 6 pre-selectable gears) is used on all other engines with or without Quattro Petrol/Diesel.

DSG is available from memory on the RS4 which is a B7 chassis.

i have an S4 cab with tiptronic box. it has paddles behind the wheel not buttons on the wheel itself. also 6 speed in D and on the paddles, reverts to 5 when u put it in S.