Heated Door Mirrors - 52 plate Sport

MarkWizard

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

Are these standard equipment? Neither of mine demist in cold weather and its too much to assume I've got 2 faulty mirror glasses. The rear window demists perfectly

Brochure I have says they were standard on "July 2003" Sport - I have them on my 2001 Sport.
The option codes for heated wing mirrors are 6XD, 6XE, 6XF, 6XJ, 6XK or 6XL - check one of these codes is listed inside your service manual on the first page.
6XC denotes non-heated.
I have the code 6XD indicated in my service book.

Mines an 02 130 sport, both heated mirrors were wired up but no heater elements on mirror glass, new glasses fitted now they work a treat!

Knowing Audi the wiring is all in place anyway, but they just fit none heated glass to the models without them.

If you pop out the glass (from the bottom iirc) you can easily see if they have heater elements on the back of them and if there is the wiring to plug into the heated wing mirrors.
If there are the wires there you just simply buy the wingmirrors with the heater bits on the back of them and plug them in and they should work. Mine did and they cost about £10 each side (iirc again)

If you're going to pop the glass out make sure you point the mirrors right down to the ground, this will allow you to get a decent grip behind the glass with your fingers and reduce the chance of breaking the glass.

cool mine are heated lol,heaps of codes in there thought they were just jumbled numbers tbh,how are the mirrors activated is it when you put on the rear screen?

Yes they come on with the rear screen, but it has to be below a certain exterior temperature, maybe 8C I can't quite remember.

nice one james ,mines a 53 plate facelift i think

As ever with Audi's, sometimes it's not as simple as that!

I noticed m 2001 Sport defrosted the drivers door glass, but not the passenger. I popped out the passenger glass, found it was non heated, but saw the wires there all ready to connect up.

I toddled off to GSF, purchased a heated element, connected it all up and looked forward to a demisted passenger side too. Except, it didn't!

I popped the mirror off again and measured for voltage with the heated screen on and off, and detected a difference. The voltage was minuscule though, so I checked my drivers side which was exactly the same, but that demists.

I hooked up VCDS and found the measuring blocks that say whether the mirrors are currently heating or not, and found the drivers one said ON and then cycled between ON and OFF once up to temp, but the passenger one stayed OFF.

There appears to be no way of activating the passenger mirror, so for now it still doesn't work. It could be that the GSF supplied mirror part is not compatible or that it's faulty I suppose. All my testing was done in sub zero temps a few weeks back. I wonder if I should try an Audi mirror?

Mines an 02 130 sport, both heated mirrors were wired up but no heater elements on mirror glass, new glasses fitted now they work a treat!

How much did the glass cost? My passenger side works, but the drivers one doesn't.......

Looks like I need me some new mirror glass ! - PRCode: 6XC = outer rear view mirrors: powered Any recommendations as to best place to buy ?

My car has code 6XC as well, but only the drivers side is heated.

As above, I've fitted a heated glass to the passenger side but it still doesn't work.

I got a glass from GSF for about £17 I think it was. Audi wanted £40... Makes me wonder if there is more to the Audi mirror than the GSF one, and that's why my retrofit fit one doesn't work? Or it could be the usual main dealer price gouging!

Last edited:
Just tried mine, turned on rear heater which I can feel is warm, door mirrors arent :( Looks like another little job to do :)

Does anyone know if cab mirror glass is the same as standard B6 mirror glass ?

Just to update, might help somebody, but I got a set of those mirrors from the link above.

Basically, my drivers mirror was heated and worked great, my passenger one was non heated but had the wiring. I got a heated mirror element from GSF, but as per my earlier reply, it didn't work.

I fitted the replacement genuine Audi mirror from the eBay link, and it works fine.

So, I guess be wary about the GSF mirrors, it doesn't work on mine. It could be faulty, or there could be more to the Audi mirror than meets the eye.

Anyway, I'm happy now! :)

Fitted mine last week, 2 min job to fit, work perfect :) Shame Audi cant fit them as standard on what was a £30k car mind.......

Yes, does seem a bit mean! I guess ticking the heated mirror option on the order form is easy money for them though!

PS Thanks for posting that link by the way! :rock:

Last edited: